Exum Ridge

 

Exum Ridge
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Exum Ridge
Manufacturer La Sportiva
Page By bearbnz
Page Type Nov 29, 2003 / Jan 16, 2007
Object ID 890
Hits 5765
Vote



FOR Mountain running and easy alpine climbing



FIT SST (Slingshot Stabilization Technology) lacing yoke and down to the toes lacing for lock-down performance on hairball terrain



GRIP All around performance with climbing shoe dot treads in the front, trail running

traction in the back and an in-cut heel for downhill control in loose talus and snow



FUNCTION Hybrid suspension for protection and torsional rigidity





This is the ultimate footwear tool for any mountain athlete. With the Exum Ridge you really can go anywhere and do anything because our treads are made with FriXion™ rubber that mimics all the best qualities of sticky climbing shoe rubber outsoles. The SST harness is another idea borrowed from rock shoe design that locks your heel down when scrambling and climbing. Climbers, trail runners and adventure racers all groove on the Exum Ridge because it is built for serious hammering on or off trail and rock climbing performance up to easy class five terrain. The dual-density midsole features RockShock cushioning for the lateral side to soften impact (while decreasing speed at which pronation occurs) and a firmer MEMlex side for medial support. The E.S.P.



From Sportiva.com

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

bearbnz - Nov 29, 2003 11:45 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The Exum Ridge is a very capable shoe. I have used them on hikes where speed was of the essence, and soloed in them up to about 5.6.



They are light, well-padded, and comfortable if you have wide feet. I have narrow feet, so on the downhills, I can't lace the shoes tight enough to keep my toes from sliding down to the end and getting bruised up. I was very disappointed in this as the shoes are super comfortable on level & uphill, stick well to most rock types, and are light enough to go all day.



The sole has enough of a tread pattern to tackle sand, mud, and soft snow, but like most sticky rubbers, they wear fast. One feature I really liked was the fit around the ankle, which was tight without being restrictive, but fit well enough to keep out debris, even sand. For a low-top, they do a good job keeping all that junk out of the shoe and saving some shoe-emptying stops.



Durability is the weak point in this shoe. I only made maybe 10 ascents in these things, mostly on good Sierra granite, and the seams on the side near the front blew out.



If you have a wide foot, aren't too hard on your shoes, and are looking for something to get you up the trail, cross country, and then cruise some 3rd, 4th, or easy 5th, these are the shoes for you. If the fit was a little more narrow, enough to shelter my toes, I would buy these shoes again despite the durability issues.

STW - Jan 24, 2004 8:31 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The other review is spot on. I'll just reinforce some key points.



Durability is not a high-point for these shoes. The rubber is quite soft (which helps make it sticky), so the soles are wearing down rapidly. Also, I've had the very front edge of the soles of mine (where it's glued up over the front onto the toe rand) delaminate. The uppers are doing a bit better, but there are signs of wear appearing there as well after only a dozen outings or so...



I actually have a narrow-ish foot, and I am totally comfortable in these shoes. In fact, I find them extremely comfy. I don't think you need a wide foot to enjoy these shoes.



I've tried some easy rock climbing in these and was never confident enough in them to want to use them for extensive climbing. In my opinion, the FiveTen approach shoes are better suited for actual technical climbing than these.



Also be aware that these are very lightweight shoes with little or no ankle support or shank. They're quite soft. This adds comfort and nimble-ness; but, don't expect these shoes to support your feet on long hikes with a heavy pack.

ScottyS - Jan 28, 2004 9:09 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
These were pretty nice. They were much more comfortable to wear long-term than the street-style approach shoes that I had before them. I like the idea of a running shoe with real rubber, so I don't mind the fast tread wear. They seem to be fairly sensitive, but don't do edges too well. With my wide feet, I am allowed to get more weight on edges due to the thin sides and non-flared tread at the toe, though. Just a little more cushion, and I would be happy.

KathyW - Jan 30, 2007 5:37 am - Voted 5/5

Good shoes
I'm on my second pair of Exum Ridge shoes. They work out really good for trail hiking, trail running, and scrambling up mountains. They are very comfortable. I find that they are most comfortable on the downhill with a heavier pair of hiking socks than with lightweight hiking socks. The front part of the sole is very sticky. I sometimes find myself stuck when I don't want to be, but that's not as bad as not sticking when I want to.

PeakMule - May 12, 2007 10:05 am - Hasn't voted

Traction, support
Great trail hikers with excellent traction and good support. My feet are on the long-narrow side, and the lacing arrangement permits a perfect, snug fit. Mesh uppers make 'em cool, but also vulernable to spiny plants; no bushwhacking in these. Overall, I'm happy with them--just bought my second pair.

Travis Atwood - Aug 21, 2008 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Exum Ridge
Comfortable, supportive, and great traction. The only drawback is a relativity short tread life. I guess that's the trade off for superior traction.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6