Horse Thief

 

Horse Thief
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Horse Thief
Manufacturer Big Agnes
Page By Alpinist
Page Type Feb 25, 2007 / Feb 25, 2007
Object ID 2677
Hits 4168
Vote

Layering with Over Bags

The concept of layering for different conditions is nothing new to outdoor enthusiasts. For example, you wear one garment next to your skin and then add layers to obtain the ideal temperature and moisture management system. Sleeping bags aren’t much different. Combine a sleeping pad, any sleeping bag and a Big Agnes over bag to create a versatile year-round system that you can pick from based on trip and temperature needs. Benefits of layering include added warmth, versatility, moisture transfer, value and comfort. Synthetic over bags are ideal when moisture is a concern as they insulate when wet and protect the inner bag while down over bags perform better in dry conditions. Mummy shaped bags, such as the Horse Thief, can be used as a liner bag or make a great over bag for the minimalist.

Features


  • Fill: 725 goose down
  • Temperature rating: +35(F)
  • Integrated pad sleeve. Never roll off your pad again
  • 60" YKK #8 zipper. Mate together any of our left and right zip bags with 60" zipper
  • Mummy shape decreases weight & packed size
  • Cotton storage sack & nylon stuff sack included
  • Built in pillow pocket holds a fleece or Big Agnes Pillow
  • Shell fabric: WRM breathable, water resistant and wind proof nylon microfiber rip-stop
  • Interior lining: WRM breathable, water resistant and wind proof nylon microfiber rip-stop
  • Interior fabric loops for sleeping bag liners
  • LEFT OR RIGHT ZIPPER? When you are in the bag, on your back, the right zip will be on your right side, left zip on your left side.

Specifications


Size - ColorFabricFill Type / Fill WeightBag WeightStuff Sack SizeCompressed Bag SizeUS Retail Price
Regular - gray/black
Large - gray/black
WRM shell
WRM lining
WRM bottom
725 / 9.5oz
725 / 11.5oz
1lb 8oz
1lb 11oz
7.5" x 15"
7.5" x 15"
7.5" X 4.5"
7.5" X 5.5"
$179
$199

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Alpinist - Feb 25, 2007 2:33 pm - Voted 5/5

Very warm
I'm highly skeptical of the warmth rating of most sleeping bags. They never seem to be quite as warm as the manufacturer's specified rating. However, I was very pleasantly surprised with the Big Agnes Horse Thief.

I brought it with me to Tanzania for a 3-day safari and 7-day climb of Kilimanjaro to compliment my +20 rated sleeping bag. I liked the versatility that it provided me to use one or the other bags individually, or both, for virtually any temperature. What I didn't anticipate is that I was able to sleep comfortably using just the Horse Thief on all but the highest camp on Kili. The temperatures at night were in the 30's(F) at the lower camps, and yet the Horse Thief kept me quite warm.

The bag also breathes well. I did not have any problem with moisture or sweating.

The Big Agnes Horse Thief is a little pricy, but it seems to be well made, and it provides good warmth and great versatility when used with another sleeping bag for trips that you expect a large variance in temperature.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1