I-Tent

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title I-Tent
Manufacturer Bibler
Page By Josh
Page Type Dec 15, 2001 / Dec 15, 2001
Object ID 83
Hits 5531
Vote
This two-person, single wall, extreme mountain tent is built to be lightweight, strong, waterproof, easy to set up. It's designed to deal with all high-altitude conditions. There are two designs: 1 door and 2 door.



Two equal-size Easton aluminum poles fit inside the tent eliminating pole sleeves. Poles are held in place with Twistlock Pole Ties which are easy to work while wearing gloves or mitts and are much stronger than Velcro. Walls are steep and floor shape is simple, thus optimizing living space, eliminating wasted space and increasing headroom. Precise catenary cut makes tent skin tight on the poles and quiet in heavy winds; door awning is designed to remain quiet, even in a gale. Floor material is finely woven high-denier nylon taffeta laminated to a strong waterproof film; coating is on the inside to protect from wear and tear. Tent interior is pale yellow for a bright, natural look; floors are black so they dry fast, even in cold weather. Adjustable weatherproof vents keeps the warm air inside the tent in the winter and provide cool airflow in the summer, even during a rainstorm. Door zippers remain velvety smooth, resist wind and are treated with silicone to prevent water wicking and the inevitable freeze. Door toggles to the side when open and no-see-em mesh is placed on the interior to prevent ice build-up. Two interior net pockets hold odds and ends. Three-point equalizing guyline tie-downs provide security in extreme winds. Multiple light-reflecting tie-downs are helpful in the dark. Designed with as few seams as possible, all are fully factory taped to create a completely leakproof environment; Seam Grip provides extra protection. Seams are all sewn with super heavy-duty nylon thread and every stress point is reinforced for extra security. The single wall design eliminates a layer of fabric thus eliminates the annoying sounds of fabric flapping in the wind.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

iannguyen - Sep 25, 2002 11:14 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I mostly use this tent for winter backpacking and mountaineering. Mine comes with only one door, It has great ventilation (thanks to 2 top vents), the fabric breaths well, although seems to be thin comparing to other single wall tents that I've tried. The set up is quite a challenge at first. It handles beautifully in the wind and snow. One complaint that I have about the internal pockets, they seems to come apart easily from tent body. I would not suggest anyone to put too many things in these pockets. Definitely recommend to get the buckle-on vestibule (it's a must if you plan to use this tent in harsh weather).

summitman - Dec 22, 2005 12:10 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
This is a good tent as long as there are no high wind. On shasta trip the poles got bent out of shape because of moderate winds. Also, it's very easy to to poke the floor of the tent with the pole when setting it up under stressful conditions... Overall: poor design and very expensive.

WML - Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm - Voted 5/5

good tent
A couple of climbing partners of mine have this thing and swear by it, and I don't blame them. Spent some rough nights in this tent before and it has held up damn well.

JHH60 - Mar 26, 2011 1:30 pm - Voted 5/5

Practice makes perfect
Great tent for mountaineering and snow camping. If you have to dig out a platform for your tent, you will appreciate the small size! Not ideal for low altitude backpacking, especially in wet weather, as condensation will be a problem. As others mentioned, get the vestibule; it's good for storing boot shells and other gear as there's not a lot of extra rooom in this tent with two people. Setting up the tent is slightly awkward the first few times you do it, but with practice you can do it very quickly.

2 Bees - Oct 1, 2013 12:20 pm - Voted 5/5

My all-time favorite tent
I bought my i-tent in the mid 80's for just $370.00; a lot of money then. I have 4 other tents and this is the only one I will put in my backpack. Super light and E-Z to set up. I set it up either of two ways: 1- Lay it out, get in, unfold poles, set one corner, then push up and set the other end, then repeat with second pole. 2- While standing up, I will pull the tent over me and set poles, then lay it down = very E-Z and not hard on the knees. Mines green; I have walked by it a couple of times because it blends in with the rocks and trees. Bought it for a trip to Nepal to bag 4 trekking peaks. The new tents by BD are not as well build. Buy an old one if you can find one.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5