MHW Windstopper Tech Pants

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title MHW Windstopper Tech Pants
Manufacturer Mountain Hardwear
Page By Bryan W
Page Type Jun 5, 2003 / Jun 5, 2003
Object ID 739
Hits 4467
Vote
Totally windproof, yet still very breathable, thanks to the Gore Windstopper® membrane. These pieces fight connective heat loss. This extra protection allows for garments that are not only lighter than comparable standard fleece but also provide a broader comfort range. With features like extra-long pit zips, zippered hand and security pockets, and reinforcements in high-abrasion areas, WindStopper Tech will quickly become one of your "indispensibles."

Double Velcro® waist closure

Full side zip

Elastic back

Two hand pockets

Zip interior pocket

Articulated knees with ambush reinforcement

Gusseted crotch

Adjustable Velcro® cuffs

Reinforced abrasion areas

Weight (size 10): 20 oz. / 567 g

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Bryan W - Jun 5, 2003 12:53 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I love these pants. They are very versatile and were perfect for warmer slog type conditions and also as an insulating layer for cold alpine conditions. The knees and butt are reinforced and appear to be as bomb proof as other MHW products. I have had no problem with water leaking in and they are very breathable and the legs zips are nice for venting. I would recommend buying the suspenders to help keep them up.

vertx - Jan 23, 2004 4:54 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
When I first bought these pants I was questioning my sanity for paying this much for some fleece pants. After 2 years of using them, I could not be happier. Very warm. Very durable. I use these as an insulating layer. I rarely have to put a shell over them. They are very wind resistant. With crampons and boots on, the full length zippers are a must have. The waist band adjusts in a flash with one velcro tab on either side. The leg cuffs are adjustable with velcro straps, making it easy to adjust over different size boots. Quality and Durability, two of my favority words in climbing gear.

Derek Franzen - Jun 21, 2005 10:34 am - Voted 4/5

Windstopper Tech Pants
I've been a wool and leather guy for years; I reluctantly purchased this pant two years ago and now use them exclusively for alpine and glacier climbing.



The windstopper works great and the insulation thickness is just right for my legs. I like the side zips, it makes it easy to get on and off (even with crampons) and help to vent excess heat well. I've worn them in downpours without my rainpants and they did resist quite a bit of moisture.



The only negative points I can think of about these are they tend to slide down while hiking (if not wearing a harness); they could be improved if there was more elastic in the waist closer and / or used some type of suspenders.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3