Alpine utility at an affordable price!
A classic alpine style, updated with today’s best materials and technology. Designed for the alpinist carrying skis, climbing gear and backcountry tools who wants comfort, bomb-proof reliability and minimalist design.
Features- Hydration compatible with single exit port
- Full width hydration or layers sleeve
- Gear loop inside of the lid
- Dual ice axe loops that tuck away
- Gear attachment points on the front side
- Diagonal ski carry
- A-frame ski carry
- Vertical snowshoe & snowboard carry
- Multi-use compression system holds snow boards and skis
- Dual collared storm shields with draw cord closure
- Detachable lid that converts into a lumbar
- Tool attachment points
- Mesh sleeve on the waist belt
- Pivoting waist belt with dual density foam
- Channeled air mesh back panel
- Elastic sternum strap and bite valve catch
- Small rain cover fits this pack
I wanted several things when I went looking for a good alpine pack. It had to have enough attachment points for me to lash on snowshoes, crampons, poles or whatever else I might want. And since the wastebelt of a pack typically covers the gear loops on a harness, I wanted gear loops on the pack. I wanted it to be durable enough to last for a while, and I didn't want to pay an excessive price for a bunch of stitched together nylon!!
The Needle pack on Lone Eagle Peak
I broused on-line and through my local mountaineering shops, finally coming across the Mountainsmith Needle. Ah-hah! $99.00! I could afford that. It had gear loops, felt durable, plenty of room for typical stuff I would take on an alpine ascent, and had lots of ways to hook junk up to the outside. I bought it!
It's first trip was up Solo Flight on Lone Eagle Peak. I found it to be very comfortable, rode close to my back so as not to make me too top heavy on technical moves, and it was easy to reach down and find pro. Having compatability with a hydration reservoir was a nice plus as well. The one I bought was all black, but it also comes in several other colors.
I like it!
No reviews written yet.