Ice. It’s ever-changing, ever-evolving and ever-demanding. It’s in the domain of difficult ice that your tools take over where your forearms give out—so be choosy in your selection. You want a tool with a balanced swing that sticks into ice like a dart. A tool that’s predictable and made of bomber materials—with enough clearance for those (deep breath) overhangs and bulges. That’s why there’s the Rage. With it’s modular 17-4 investment-cast steel head and lightweight 7075 extruded shaft—you get a combo of durability and high performance. The Rage’s high-clearance shaft lets you clear cauliflowered ice, hook over protrusions and penetrate the ice like it was mere Styrofoam®. Equipped with the Cobra pick, you get every state-of-the-art feature you could ask for… without a hefty price tag.
- Hhigh-clearance shaft clears protrusions with ease and reduces shaft "bounce back"
- Textured, molded rubber grip is easy to hang on to and fights fatigue
- User-friendly tool that excels on both hard ice and alpine climbs
- April 12, 2002: Mfg Order 1149 series recall (300 units) due to shaft breakage at grip/shaft interface [ BD Announcement ]
- Skyward Mountaineering (2002): Ice Climbing Equipment List - Top Pick (2 stars out of 3)