Summit Trekking Poles

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Summit Trekking Poles
Manufacturer REI
Page By dsnell
Page Type Aug 5, 2003 / Aug 5, 2003
Object ID 776
Hits 11295
Vote
REI's no frills 3-section aluminum trekking poles. Collapse down to 25" and extend to 55". Include rubber grips with hand loop and easy-off trekking baskets. Click here for REI's product info on these poles.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

dsnell - Aug 6, 2003 12:01 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I recently bought these poles and used them on Longs Peak. They are the least expensive poles I have seen, but they surely get the job done. I'm of the opinion that a pole is a pole (I used to use ski poles before I could afford decent gear). They collapsed easily and didn't give me any trouble when I used them for a 15 mile hike.



The only downside is that they are a bit heavier than more expensive poles, but not much. They are not anti-shock, but I have used both, and, to me, the anti-shock feature is a waste of money.

The Defiant One - Mar 28, 2005 7:47 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
My GO-TO Pole. When i bought my first pole, it was a Leki Makalu Ultralight$$$. I gave those to my mother. Then I bought the REI Ultralight Anti-Shock$, and gave those to my girlfriend. Then I bought the REI Summit poles and i prefer these over the other two. They are a couple oz heavier than the other two models i've used, but the lack of anti-shock is a plus for me. anti-shock is another thing to break on a pole. I am of the opinion that on long treks, having a durable pole is more important than having a pole that will do your taxes and spring when you lean on it. I've used these all over in many conditions, I bought some aftermarket snow baskets which i use snowshoing. These poles are great and the extra oz doesn't bother me, perhaps because i'm young. I've used much more expensive poles with more features but i reccomend these above all others i've used.

James C - Jul 18, 2005 11:50 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Gret Poles for the price, they have worked fine for me, the tips atthe bottoms still have shown no wear even after half a season of climbing, highly recommended

BSPclimber - Jan 26, 2007 4:56 pm - Voted 5/5

nice pole
Recently purchased these, very happy with them. Was looking at other more expensive poles with the anti-shock but to me that seemed like a solution to a non-existant problem. The weight has not been an issue for me. Make sure you put in the baskets securely, i've had one fall off twice on the trail, fortunately I saw it happen both times.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4