Talus 35

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Talus 35
Manufacturer REI
Page By Andy
Page Type Aug 30, 2002 / Aug 30, 2002
Object ID 465
Hits 10063
Vote
Technical top-loading day pack with side zip access features a unique compression flap and strap system for carrying skis, snowboards and other gear.



  • Fabric flaps and webbing straps hold a snowboard, snowshoes, shovel or other gear--or, flip to the side for securing skis


  • Floating top lid pocket keeps essentials close at hand


  • Main compartment features a zippered pocket with key clip for securing small items and a large mesh hydration pocket (reservoir sold separately)


  • Back, shoulder straps and hipbelt pads are lined with Air Mesh for breathability and moisture-wicking comfort


  • Curved, padded shoulder straps with sternum strap, padded hipbelt with stabilizer straps and padded back comfortably and evenly distribute the load


  • High-density polyethylene framesheet adjusts easily for a custom curve that fits the shape of your back


  • TufGrip lumbar pad keeps bag from slipping


  • Dual ice axe loops, two side gear loops and daisy chain let you attach extra gear


  • Abrasion- and water-resistant ripstop polyester bag features a Ballistic nylon bottom for long-lasting durability


Reviews


Viewing: 1-8 of 8

Andy - Aug 30, 2002 12:25 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought this pack to replace my 10-year-old Kelty Redwing. I bought it because it was big, it was top loading, and it has lots of ways to attach stuff to the outside. I like several things about this pack:
  1. It’s very comfortable. The shoulder straps/hip belt, though not heavily padded, are extremely comfortable. The framesheet also fits really well.

  2. It’s got a sleeve in the inside for a hydration bladder. I had never used a hydration bladder before I got this pack and had always thought they were gimmicks to sell more, expensive gear. Now I’m hooked, and wouldn’t think of going hiking without my hydration bladder.

  3. It’s got lots of ways to attach stuff to the outside. I can attach everything from snowshoes to my fly rod without difficulty, or having the stuff flop allover.

  4. It’s pretty cheap. For the size I wanted (2500 cu. in. –3000 cu. in.), this pack was much cheaper than anything else on the market.
There are a few things that I don’t like about the pack:
  1. The way the lid ties down to the pack is a little awkward. It’s fine once you get it tied down, but opening and closing things is kind of a pain.

  2. There aren’t many pockets. Coming from the Kelty Redwing, I was used to storing all kinds of stuff in the outside pockets. Now I’ll I’ve got is the lid. I suppose you run into this problem with just about all top loading packs though.

  3. If the pack is not filled up almost all the way, then it’s difficult to get everything buckled down correctly so that it stays buckled.
All-in-all, this is a pretty good pack for the money and I’m still happy with it.

Brian Jenkins - Sep 14, 2002 10:31 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This is a great pack for climbing if you need to take a lot of gear up with you as well as being a great pack for an overnight backpacking trip. I love the way you can attach almost anything to the back. I have attached snowshoes, climbing pro, trekking poles, ice axe, etc. The lack of pockets though is a bummer. Would like it if it had somewhere to stick a Nalgene in. Have used it much and continue to. One of my "go to's".

Dean - May 16, 2003 3:25 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I picked up this pack for a trip to Mt. Shasta but I guess I didn't read the volume capability very well. I loved many features as mentioned in the other reports but found that it was just inadequate to get even minimal snow camping gear into it. This would make a good day pack but lack of pockets made it a poor choice for me for overnight trips. I took the pack back after a couple of mini trips and bought the bigger REI Morningstar (4200 cc) which solved my problem.

Update: I ended up taking the Morningstar back as I found it to be on unwieldy for off trail use. The center of gravity was always off no matter how I packed it. I gave the pack to my son in law who is 6-4 and it works great for him. I have since picked up the Aether 60 pack and it is the one I use on all backpacking trips. It s a keeper.

pjc30943 - Mar 8, 2004 6:32 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The Talus 35 is a pretty inexpensive pack, but for the money it is a high performer. Because there are so many good things about its layout, but only a few negatives, I'll start with the negatives.



The lid has an elastic cord sown in, which always pulls the lid together. If this cord were accessible to loosen or tighten it, the lid would be much easier to secure.

Next, the suspension is pretty adequate, but when intentionally testing heavier than normal (about 37 pounds) the load seems to lift the pack away from the back despite all adjustments. This was very annoying and kept wanting to "tip me backwards". I've never seen this with any other pack. BUT, if the heavy stuff is placed down near the waist, the pack handles better. Also, with lighter loads it is fine. I do not think this drawback is large enough to prevent me from buying it again, if I were given the choice.

Lastly, my biggest complaint: Indeed there are two ice axe loops as claimed, but there is strangely no loop to secure the shaft, after the axe is placed through one of two bottom ice axe loops and flipped to its proper storage position. I've sown a loop on, but it is not the same. Maybe I just missed how to do this with this pack :)

The lack of pockets is a tad frustrating, but not too big of a deal for me considering the other positive features...and price.

There are also no little clips on the front of the shoulder straps to secure small gear, but then again this is a no-frills pack.



Now, the positives. Great design for the two lid pockets. Very nice hydration bladder sleeve with good tube exits. Excellent job with the clever flap/compression system that can secure poles, skis, boards, shovels, etc. It is extremely versatile! That's the main selling point for me. Want to take of a jacket? Just strap it in with the compression flaps for rapid and easy storage and access. The gear loops are great; just large enough to pass small strap buckles through each loop. The hip-belt is pretty comfortable. The soft yet sturdy material against the back is very nice and allows good venting. Also, I love the two gear loops on the bottom sides. I found the volume just right for one-day ascents in moderate (not dead in winter) conditions.





For the price, it is a great technical pack.

scottfromcali - Mar 31, 2004 10:10 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
A great all around pack from day trips to the overnigher to heading the crags. I've had snowshoes, crampons, shovel, axe, trekking poles, spare gear all attached to this thing at one time or another. The side gear loops are nice for skis, and trekking poles. Its a nice size for what I like to do, mostly day trips with enough room for a bit of gear what if gear. The side zipper is so so, I dont really use it too much but when I do its nice to have to access the gear I need. For its' small size it is very adjustable, priced right, I use the hydration pocket all the time to store my camelback.



The cons: One large comparment and a top lid for smaller items. I find the top lid usually packed with stuff that one needs to get to often. There is a lack of smaller comparements which I think would be a big plus. The top lid closes with a big bungee. Its only a bad design in that when you have shoeshoes and maybe your axe say strapped to the back and you need to get to the main compartment, guess what? those need to come loose before you can get the top lid open. Not quite as bad as I am making it sound but annoying nonetheless. So, four well deserved stars.

neoday - Aug 23, 2004 4:17 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great pack;

Pros-

- lighter weighe (expecially if you take out the stays an frame sheet)

-tough fabric

-side zip for easy entry into pack

-properly placed compression straps

-fair padding

- carries 35 lbs relatively well

-PRICE!!!

-carries ice axes, crampons, ice tools and pickets well.

Cons-

-not the litghtest on the market (1 lb heavier than the lightest)

-only two zippered pockets- both on the lid (but you can add pockets that fit on the compression straps)



-Yes, I would buy this again.



Again, make sure he aluminum stays are fitted to you. They were not even close when I bought it- after some bending on my knee, I could comfortably carry an additional 10-15 lbs.

The Defiant One - Mar 28, 2005 7:04 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I really love this pack. I got it for $15 at an REI Garage Sale and have used it extensively in the Sierra and Andes. It's got this weird elastic lid that clips in, which i don't like as a design, but hasn't ever inhibited me from stuffing this thing with lots of gear.



PROS: Lightweight, especially without the frame, easy to remove.

The misc gear loops and compression straps and accessory straps on the back make it easy to attach almost anything from skis, to snowshoes, to ice axes (see below) or anything else really.

This pack is labeled a technical daypack but I have used it on overnight alpine ascents and a 3-day backpacking trip.

It carries loads much much better than my Golite and i think that makes up for the weight difference if adventure racing is your thing, but you haven't yet cut the handle off your toothbrush.

Price can't be beat.

CONS: there is no loop or Velcro to secure the handle of your ice ax, but perhaps future models will have this. I modified mine and it works great.



Overall, a great buy, worth the money, as this packs greatest strength is in its versatility.

awagher - Mar 30, 2005 1:15 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great pack. Pulled the frame out and lightened it up a bit. The comfort was not sacrificed. Very versatile - many options for tool attatchment on the outside. I carry a zero degree down bag and pad, stove w/ fuel, titanuim pot, food, jacket and a water bladder on the inside. Headlamp, firstaid, goggles, gloves, hat, map and compass in the lid pocket. Ice axe, snow stakes, crampons, helmet, shovel and insulated nalgene holder on the outside. I love this pack - streamlined and rugged not to mention cheap.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8