Theta AR jacket

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Theta AR jacket
Manufacturer Arc'teryx
Page By greenclimber
Page Type Feb 21, 2003 / Feb 21, 2003
Object ID 674
Hits 10087
Vote
The Arc'Teryx Theta AR Jacket is the perfect all around jacket for any outdoor activity and the most popular shell Arc'Teryx makes. Like all Arc'Teryx hard shells, the Theta AR Jacket has welded, not stitched seams. This makes it stronger and cuts down on weight. It's also got watertight zippers. They’re so bomber, they preclude the need for a stormflap, again cutting down on weight. Arc’Teryx was the first company Gore-Tex allowed to do this and still use the Gore-Tex name. Seam allowances are also super tight and thin. Toss in molded zipper garages and low volume helmet capacity and you've got yourself a indomitable jacket.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

greenclimber - Feb 21, 2003 7:03 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Perfect cut for climbing. Some ice climbers take issue with the hip length of the jacket interfering with a harness but it hasn't been my experience. The dry-cuffs are a great idea and the cut of the jacket is really streamlined in that area so it won't interfere with the gauntlet of a glove. The hood design is OK because it will work with low volume helmets but it doesn't work with biking helmets so to me it has limited versatility. The shock cord skirt on the inside waist is brilliant as the Gore-tex won't be cinched in that area thus unnecessarily stressed. DWR is excellent after 20+ washes but the greatest thing about this jacket is the CUT around the shoulders and armpits. Definitely no more material than you need so you won't balloon up when you're wearing a harness.



Again, thoughtful details that you PAY for.

AndreasBlomquist.se - Jan 19, 2005 11:37 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great jacket with a really nice cut. The jacket fits perfectly no matter what kind of movements one might be up to. In retrospect I regret that I didn't buy the Alpha SV but that's just because I want more wind/snowproofing around the face area. With this jacket there is no way to "seal" in the face from wind and snow so you have to do that with a balaclava.

Well, this actually just gives me a reason to invest in yet another Arc'Teryx jacket, the Alpha SV.

RModelli - Feb 20, 2005 9:08 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This (and Alpha SV) is probably one of the best cut and shaped piece of technical geat one can own.



The high price is worth paying for the great fit and attention to detail. There are other 3 layer GT XCR jackets around and none of them would compare to the fit and functionality of this jacket.



Really great, I would recommend this jacket to anyone.

HappyCamper - Nov 10, 2007 11:15 am - Voted 5/5

Very good
Great fit for people with long arms, like me. Used it for ice climbing, ski mountaineering, alpine stuff, always performed OK. Especially like the front pockets, very good to stuff stuff in when you're in a hurry. And the hood is superior to my TNF jacket. And the lip protection is the best idea ever.

Suggested improvements: waterproof zippers start to peel in the middle. Better DWR, gone after 1 wash. Less pockets, the front is pretty rigid, causing it to "stand" on my harness after raising my arms, making it hard to see the gear on it.

scooter12ga - May 5, 2008 1:08 pm - Voted 5/5

Excellent
Light weight, no extra crap to weigh you down. Fits awesome and moves with you well. Sheds water very well but still breathes even when working hard. I like the long back, it covers your butt well when sitting on snow for long periods of time. It's definitely worth the price and I would recommend it to anyone.

Casey Bates - Nov 11, 2009 2:24 pm - Voted 5/5

Bomber
After four years mine looks nearly brand new. Arc'teryx chose a very strong and abrasion resistant face fabric that still manages to be light weight. At 6' 160lbs the medium fits me very well because it does not look baggy at all yet I am able to squeeze some insulating layers below it. The hood works really well with a helmet. Pockets are where I need them to be and there are not a lot of bells and whistles, just simple goodness. The seam taping on the inside of the jacket keeps you dry. I'll be using this until it dies...years from now I am sure, and will probably replace it with another.

murphie - Apr 11, 2010 11:19 pm - Hasn't voted

fantastic jacket
I've had mine for a few years now and as far as I can tell, it's definitely worth the money. I have yet to use it with a helmet, so I have to sinch down the hood. I can't wait to get up to Alaska, I bought a large, when I normally wear a medium, in anticipation of wearing warming layers underneath, right now it's slightly awkward being a little big, but that's only because I've never taken it anywhere cold enough for that many layers. I love how big the pit zips are, they come in handy when I don't want to take off the jacket but just need that ventilation. Good job Arc'Teryx

Viewing: 1-7 of 7