Ultra Gore-Tex® XCR®

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Ultra Gore-Tex® XCR®
Manufacturer The North Face
Page By bewencher
Page Type Aug 25, 2005 / Aug 25, 2005
Object ID 1399
Hits 5856
Vote
(from thenorthface.com)
The Ultra Gore-Tex® XCR® is a waterproof, breathable trail runner for all-weather conditions.

Features:
# Abrasion resistant synthetic mudguard
# AgION™ anti microbial lining
# Breathable sandwich mesh upper and tongue
# De coupled heel
# Extended Roll Control™ medial heel wedge
# Heel & Forefoot X-2™ cushioning
# Injection molded TPU shank insert
# Northotic™ ergonomically designed multidensity footbed with AgION™ anti microbial top sheet
# Reinforced toe cap and heel
# Scree gaiter attachments Dual density EVA midsole
# TNF Trail Grip™ rubber outsole
# Waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex® XCR® trail runner for all weather conditions. Gore-Tex® XCR® waterproof, breathable membrane upper

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

bewencher - Aug 25, 2005 11:52 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I've been wearing these all summer for all of my hikes (primarily 4,000 footers in New England) and have yet to find a reason to change. The wide laces make them very adjustable for a variety of widths. It's also easy to lace them up tighter than other shoes. These also make great gaters (in summer and winter weight) that are really easy to attach to the shoes by way of elastic loops on the shoes themselves and clips on the gaters. The grips on the soles of them are really durable and have yet to show much (if any) wear on them. The Gore-Tex also comes in handy when having to cross rivers, streams, or mud because you don't have to be overly cautious about getting your feet wet. I'm hoping that North Face will still be making these (or something like them) when I finally wear these out because I won't want to wear anything else.

The Defiant One - Apr 27, 2007 4:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Ultra 103 XCR
I must say that I've been very impressed with these shoes.
If you've read my other reviews, you know that I am a bargain hunter, so I only paid $50 for these at TNF Outlet.

I hesitate, but only for a split-second, to say that these are the best trail running/approach shoes I've ever owned. I have had more than 2 dozen pairs of trail runners and these are the best of them all. The grip is superb and the shoe is more stable than most, but not the best ever. I found the "Northotic" that came with them to be quite a good "stock" liner. (I usually upgrade with superfeet, but haven't with these shoes).
They're more breathable than other gore-tex trail runners I've owned so they don't make my feet sweat like crazy when it isn't chilly.
They have these little attachments for TNF gaiters. I've used them with both summer gaiters and the waterproof variety.
Both are great for keeping out debris, and the waterproof ones do shed water, but on a stream crossing, my feet got a little wet because they don't seal up quite perfectly.
Apart from that, they've kept my feet dry and have superior traction in mud or wet conditions.
My girlfriend has a pair as well (different colors thank goodness-we don't like to match too much) and we both frequently put down 30 miles of running/hiking in a day with these shoes with limited suffering.
My feet are long and narrow, but wide at the front. I wish the toe-box were 1-2 mm wider, but that's just a fit issue with me.
With most other shoes, I tend to get foot-bruise after long days on rugged terrain, but it's much better in these shoes.

Cons: The North Face shoes almost always run small. I bought a full size larger than I normally would. Not a real problem if you're trying these on in a store, but important if you're deal-hunting online. I don't know why they can't get their sizing right.

Bottom line:

I've got these shoes on my feet if i'm not wearing boots. and I've got 4 extra new pairs stashed in my closet in case TNF does something stupid and stops making them.

TNF really hit the mark with this shoe.

MtnGuide - Jun 12, 2010 2:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Totally Opposite Experience
I got GTX 104s, and they hurt my legs so bad my quads hurt for a month. That might have been due to a combination of running on a few miles of roads too, on some steep downhills, and wearing a 7 lb pack, but that is the same 5-mile route and load I had been wearing for the prior 10 years.

The difference might be that I had that same small-sizing issue on same type of feet, but at 11 instead of 12 to enlarge the shoe box. So there might not have been much slip room inside the shoes. And with that nubby sole pattern there was sure no slip on the road surface, as they articulated with asphalt gravel super well. (Whereas New Balance 476 are wide toe box and allow slip inside and on road.) So there was no place for force to dissipate -- except up my leg into my quads. YEOOWW!~

Offroad they are heavy. Stable support platform, but a lot to lift up the steeps. I got 'em for slippery sandstone and pea-size gravel over dry clay, but the weight wasn't worth it.

Got Mini-gaiter too, with same result, of water getting in under the poor seal along the shoe top.

I went back to New Balance for the last 5 years. Doing double Spencos, rather than Superfeet, which I use in ski boots, or those new heat-moldable arch supports. One Spenco is heel cup & pad, full length. Another is rubber arch support, full length.

If I don't use that combo the front of my feet burn, from the downhill slamming at speed.

I relented recently and got North Face shoes again, this time for their light racing shoe with the oval knob pattern. Left Northotic in. Haven't run with it yet. Cross your fingers, wait & see.

Check out Dow's review of shoes won in Canadian Trail Race.


Viewing: 1-3 of 3