Vertical

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Vertical
Manufacturer KOFLACH
Page By mconnell
Page Type Mar 27, 2002 / Mar 27, 2002
Object ID 187
Hits 3382
Vote
Shares the same shell as the Expe. However, the Vertical uses one shell size down for the same fit.



Why? The Performance Fit liners in the Vertical are slightly thinner to deliver better technical ice climbing performance. Never fear: they're still toasty to -40F.



In fact, the Vertical is as warm as the competitions "expedition" boots, making them ideal for adventures in the lower 48. And Y-Technology ensures they'll hike as well as they climb

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

mconnell - Mar 27, 2002 12:15 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Verticals have great flexibility making them excellent for walking/hiking in, as well as mixed climbing. They are amazingly comfortable for plastics. No shin rub like I have seen on Invernos.



My liners split down the back to the top of the shell soon after I got them but it doesn't affect performance. After a season, the liners compressed quite a bit so they are pretty loose on me now and I really have to crank down on them for ice climbing. There doesn't appear to be any wear problems with them after 3 seasons other than the compression of the liners, which I expect after that long. They have held up to long hikes, climbing, snowshoeing and being used as ski boots with no problems. (They don't really have enough ankle support for skiing.)



I have never had any real problems with cold feet. Only time my feet were cold at all in them was getting ready to leave high camp on Aconcagua, and that was probably due to just putting them on and not moving much in -5 to -10 degree weather.

Spud - Apr 25, 2002 11:32 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I find these to be stellar boots. Very comfortable for wearing for long periods of time. Wear them open when without crampons for even greater comfort.



Feet were kept toasty and not even the slightest sign of blistering or shin rub. Wish I could say the same for my counterparts wearing Degres

miztflip - Jun 7, 2002 4:58 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great flexability for long glacier sections without compromising stiffness for technical ice. Just as comfortable out of the box as they are two years later.



The boots are built very well and stand up to snow and rock. The sole shows little wear even after two years of constant use.



After two years I am finally replacing the liners as they are starting to pack out.

William Marler - Dec 2, 2002 6:31 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Good all purpose boot. Very warm and durable. Make sure you have the right fit and this boot will be comfortable. This is my second pair and while comfortable I managed to break off my big toenail on my right foot on a heavy pack decent. This most likely an adustment problem on my part ie tieing up tighter around the ankles than a boot defect. After four big trips with these, I am however finding the liner boots that shipped with these are cracking and splitting at the back of the ankle section and the rubber rand on the left front toe is coming off and I will be doing some glue repairs before setting off in theses again. They are still comfortable but my last pair of older Viva Softs lasted about 8 years before I needed to do any major work on them. Then they held on for another 6 years before they were retired. These I do not think will last as long.

noah - Jan 30, 2003 9:13 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great boot.....couldn't ask for more.

Only thing on there first trip out (breaking them in in the Australian alps... before leaving for the french alp, two weeks latter). the nut/bolt and cap broke off the the outer plastic ankle support.
Took them back the the shop they had them fixed within a week, it time to beat the hell out of them above chamonix.
That was two years ago now and have not had any problems since.
And they are now getting more time out now i live in Switzerland.
I also use them for snowboard mountaineering with soft bindings and they work fine.....not as well as snowboarding boots but I'd rather climb in the verticals than try and get crampons on boarding boots.

NYC007 - Feb 23, 2003 7:45 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
For a plastic boot they arent to bad. I am not a fan of plastic but there is a time and place, you would catch me in the lower 48 in the summer in these. I arent bad on glacier travel, havent ice climbed in them (use leathers) but I know people who use them and love them.. They arent as bulky as the expe or stiff as the invernos, I think they are a great medium if you must have a plastic...

travisgollaher - Oct 26, 2005 5:22 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Thees are the perfict winter boot for the lower 48 and Europe. If you haven't been introduced to plastic boot's you will feel uncomfortable in thees as well as any plastic boot. It is something you will have to adapt too. The boot's are not your clasic pair of nikes that you wear around town but as for plastic mountaineering boot's go thees are world renound ,compleat with a closed cell foam booti, that is flowed to a perfict fit. So make shure to try thees on with the sock's that you will be climbing in . You must take in to account that feet swell in high elevation and widen under a heavey load. The only draw back so far for me is that the metal gromet that the laces go through are kind of sharp, so repeated tightneng of the laces will eventualy cut your boot laces,so keep an eye out for lace wear.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7