CheesySciFiLooking forward to seeing this page

CheesySciFi

I'm glad to see that someone did a page for Oventop. The first time I went up was in July 2006 and the views to the south were very limited by haze. I couldn't get very good pictures. The second time was in February 2007, and I couldn't get pictures at all because I forgot my camera!

You've done a fine job on the page, especially since you included the third summit. I'll add a picture or two of Oventop from my archives that I took from White Rocks last year.

The bushwhacking is somewhat worse in summer, and the wood ticks are a concern. I ended up with one in my hair during the July 2006 trip, but it didn't manage to bite me.
Posted Dec 2, 2009 7:36 am

Bob SihlerRe: Looking forward to seeing this page

Bob Sihler

Thanks for the kind words. Oventop was very nice, and definitely one I wouldn't mind doing again. In fact, those slabs would make a great place to spend a few hours on a lazy spring afternoon.

Funny about the ticks, sort of-- after I did Buzzard Rocks just last month, I pulled 8 deer ticks off me within the next few hours. Fortunately, none had embedded yet.
Posted Dec 2, 2009 2:16 pm

CheesySciFiRe: Looking forward to seeing this page

CheesySciFi

I'm not terribly surprised to hear about the ticks once you get off trail in SNP. It takes some really cold weather to keep those nasty little critters down. The snow that we're getting today should make bushwhacking a lot easier for a least a couple of days.
Posted Dec 5, 2009 2:42 pm

hgrapidGreat Work!

hgrapid

I drove by this mountain many times, and never thought to hike it. I remember the Pass Mountain trail, as I made sure to find it before I put up the Pass Mountain page. One suggestion is to make clear on the page that you do NOT have to go into Skyline Drive and pay to get in the park. I think you might want to mention that in Red Tape just to be clear.
Posted Dec 2, 2009 11:32 am

Bob SihlerRe: Great Work!

Bob Sihler

Good suggestion, and I'll add that.

Thanks for checking out the page. I started getting interested in Oventop the past few months as I kept noticing the rocks on the third summit more and more, and the slabs you can see from Skyline Drive. I always figured the third summit was on private land since it's so close to Sperryville, but I was glad to find out I was wrong!
Posted Dec 2, 2009 2:18 pm

MarkDidierGotta Get Back There!

MarkDidier

Nice page Bob! This looks like a fun way to spend the day, and right up my alley. I do need to get back to Shenandoah. It's been a long time - back in 82' when I rode my bike there!

Happy Trails,
Mark
Posted Dec 2, 2009 5:11 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Gotta Get Back There!

Bob Sihler

Thanks, Mark. Oventop was definitely worth it. If you ever do get back out here, remember to get in touch.
Posted Dec 2, 2009 7:46 pm

hightineraryKudos

hightinerary

Thanks for the page! That last summit is worth the bushwhacking.
Posted Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Kudos

Bob Sihler

Great to hear that the page was useful and that you enjoyed the summit!
Posted Dec 20, 2011 9:05 am