Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dean

Dean - Nov 10, 2010 8:15 am - Voted 10/10

Fun to see this one

Your page brought back some memories of my visit back in 2003. I have attached some pics to your page that included some views from the day I visited plus some pics of the register and its contents that I found that day. Here is another source of good info from others who have visited this highpoint.

Zinge

Zinge - Apr 28, 2016 11:25 am - Hasn't voted

Access Update

The peak is actually on Rayonier property, not Weyerhaeuser as reported in every single trip report I could find. Maybe due to a recent sale? Access is from the south, off of Hwy 4 near Grays River. Turn off on Fossil Creek Road. Head north about 5 miles to the Rayonier access gate (I found it unlocked but closed on a Weds afternoon). Then it's another 14-15 miles along Rd 7000 then 7200 (just follow the main drag and signs) until you find the turnoff. Detailed maps of the area can be found on the Rayonier website, you want the fossil creek access point.
http://property.rayonierhunting.com/CreateDocument/PermitMapImages/2014_Fossil_Creek_Map.pdf

You can still access from the Weyerhaeuser property, however, they require a permit that costs over $200, and the last mile or so of driving is on Rayonier property and posted. Rayonier also requires a permit, but it's only $35 for non-hunting access. Permits go on sale January 1 and are good for access through June 30th.

Redwic

Redwic - Apr 29, 2016 11:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access Update

Thanks for the update. Did you verify the access restrictions (such as permit costs and such) with an actual visit, or something you read or were told? The reason I ask is that Weyerhauser has a lot of roads in that area, and the directions listed on this SP page have been used by many people, even recently, with no reported issues that I am aware of. A friend went there not too long ago and the "Red Tape" comments listed on this SP page were still accurate.

Zinge

Zinge - Jul 1, 2016 11:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Access Update

You can still access according to existing directions, however, Weyerhauser started requiring permits in 2014 in order to capitalize on hunting and recreation access. My first attempt to access from the north in 2014 was blocked by a posted, locked gate at the turnoff described on the main page. I looked into it a bit more and they now have a non-motorized permit available for $50. But that requires a long hike or bike. Motorized access is $250-$300 depending on which area.
https://www.wyrecreationnw.com/Permits/PropertyPage_Common.aspx?PropId=2

I'm not saying you can't sneak in while the gate is open, but the be aware that you may or may not get questioned and/or ticketed. More red tape.

I bought a Rayonier permit and took the south route on April 27th after 5pm, and found the access gate close but unlocked and not a soul in sight. One can drive all the way to the top from either direction. The south route is a viable alternative and technically the peak is on Rayonier property.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Pacific County Highpoint' main page