Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.32580°N / 111.6772°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12356 ft / 3766 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Agassiz Peak is often confused with Humphreys Peak. From Flagstaff it looks like the highest point. Humphreys Peak is only viewed from selected points in Flagstaff and looks smaller then Agassiz. Many People will tell you that Agassiz Peak is Humphreys.

People rarely climb this mountain. It's illegal to climb it. It's a shame considering that it's Arizona's only other mountain that is over 12,000 feet. It can only be observed.

Snow Climbing Legal!
This is the only way to hike Agassiz and still be legal as long as it is completely covered with snow. This would offer a really good unique challenging experience in Arizona. One option would be to hike up it and ski down it. I have met people that have done it this way. To do it in the snow an ice ax is recommended. I personally would use instep crampons, but is not totally necessary.

Getting There

From Flagstaff take Fort Valley Rd (US 180) towards the Grand Canyon. About 14 miles out of Flagstaff take the Snow Bowl road on the right to the Humphreys trail.
To see how to get to the Weatherford trail see Fremont Peak

Red Tape

Senecio franciscanusSenecio franciscanus
Hiking above treeline is illegal on Agassiz Peak due to the "threatened with critical habitat" status of the San Francisco Peaks Groundsel (Senecio franciscanus), a dwarf alpine species of the sunflower family. The status was granted in 1983 and off-trail hiking was disallowed in 1984. Trail hiking was restricted as of mid-July 1985. To know more about the San Francisco Peaks Tundra and nature click here
There are no permits granted to hike the mountain. If caught hiking it you'll get a $500 fine.
Avoiding stepping on the tundra and not kicking rocks is not difficult to avoid. If you do choose to take the risk and hike the mountain watch your step and be Courteous of the fragile nature.[img:591777:alignright:small:Senecio franciscanus]

When To Climb

Winter, snow covered is the only time it can be done without getting a fine.

In the summer: Forest Rangers are in the area most often on the weekends. Monday through Friday is the best days to hike it with the least risk of being caught.



Must read if your planning a snow climb
Back country Permits Now Available
Flagstaff, AZ - Kachina Peaks Wilderness Access permits, commonly known as back country permits, are now available at the Peaks and Mormon Lake Ranger Districts. This free permit is designed to help inform back country snow recreationalists about travel hazards, and to assist the Forest Service and the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office with search and rescue should that become necessary. Permits are only required for accessing the back country from Arizona Snowbowl and the Snowbowl Road.

Back country permits are valid for the entire winter and are designed for snowshoers, cross-country skiers and snowboarders using the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. Permits are required to be displayed in the front windshield of the permit holder’s vehicle if the vehicle is parked at the Lamar Haines trail head, the entrance of the Freidlein Prairie Road (Forest Road 522) or the Arizona Snowbowl Ski Area.

In addition to having a permit, back country campers, skiers and snowboarders who launch their trip from the Ski Area or the Snowbowl Road also need to enter information in one of three trip registers. The Coconino National Forest added a new trip register location at the Lamar Haines trail head on Snowbowl Road last year. The others are at the ticket window at the Hart Prairie Lodge and near the top of the Agassiz chairlift.

“We want people to enjoy back country winter activities—but with a high degree of safety,” said Steve Jenner, snow ranger for the Peaks Ranger District. “The information we’re asking for is intended to help people avoid dangers associated with avalanches and hypothermia. When someone reads the hazard warnings on the permit, it usually makes them stop and think for a few moments, and this is often exactly what is needed to introduce the element of caution that can save a person’s life.”

Back country permits, which again are free of charge, are available at the Peaks or the Mormon Lake Ranger Stations during the week. Once the Arizona Snowbowl opens, permits may also be obtained at the ticket window at the Agassiz Lodge on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 AM until noon. For more information, call the Peaks Ranger Station at (928) 526-0866 or the Mormon Lake Ranger Station at (928) 774-1147

Camping

Camping in Locket Meadow, Harts Prairie, and at Schultz Tank. All has no fee. Locket Meadow gets very crowded on weekends in the summer time.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Jeff12633

Jeff12633 - Nov 3, 2003 8:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

While it is not legal to hike to the top of Agassiz under normal conditions, climbing the peak when snow covered is allowed. No permit is required. This is generally possible from January until early April, depending on the year.

richh - Mar 16, 2021 1:26 pm - Hasn't voted

No permits

Permits are no longer required for snow climbs. The Humphreys Peak Trailhead parking lot is open during the winter.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.