Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.59656°N / 7.25686°E
Additional Information Elevation: 13022 ft / 3969 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Grivola, which was first climbed in 1859 by Ormsby, Bruce, Dayané, Cachat and Tairraz, is without a doubt one of the most exciting mountains in the entire Alps. This almost "perfect" white pyramid stands high above the entrance of two important valleys, the Val Savarenche and the Vallon di Cogne. Thanks to this fact the mountain is, in contrast to its higher neighbour Gran Paradiso, visible from a lot of angles in the Aosta Valley. In fact this mountain doesn't need to hide (nor does Grand Paradiso!!!), and so it is only right that they called this beautiful summit "Grivola" which means "young lady". And it's here where this mountain shares a common feature with another impressive peak of the Alps, the famous Jungfrau in the Bernese Alps. As already mentioned the Grivola stands between two valleys, on the one hand (west) we have the, thanks to Gran Paradiso, well known Val Savarenche and on the other hand (east) we have the less famous Vallon di Cogne which continues in the Valnontey. Cogne, the capital of the valleys east of Grivola is a very nice and peaceful little town. One of Cogne's major attractions, besides the mountains, is the "Giardino Alpino Paradisia" where you can find 1500 different species of alpine flowers from all over the world. The Valnontey is surrounded by a lot of hardly known summits, which are of an indescribable wild beauty. Here you are in one of the Alps most savage and original areas. The major peaks which surround this lonely and deserted valley are Gran Paradiso and Herbetet (3778 m) with the huge Tribolazione glacier, the Testa della Tribolazione (3642 m), the Becca di Gay (3621 m) and the Roccia Viva (3650 m) at the head of the valley. The most important mountains on the left side (east) of the valley are Torre del Gran San Pietro (3692 m) and Punta Patri (3581 m). On the way to these summits there are no huts, only bivouacs, and none of the ascents are easy. Also the normal routes offer techincal difficulties. In the case of the Grivola there is a hut, the Rifugio Vittorio Sella, but the not easy ascent requires high attention because of the often fragile rock in the southeast wall. The severity of these mountains is another reason why up here you'll only meet serious climbers and those who love the silence far away from all the trouble. Here it really is a Gran Paradiso.

LA GRIVOLA
Grivola VIEW FROM OZEIN

Getting There

Leave the Highway at "Aosta Ovest" (West), drive through Aymavilles and continue to follow the main street until you arrive in Cogne.

HOW TO REACH AOSTA:

- from Italy: Milan - Novara - Ivrea - Pont-Saint-Martin - Saint Vincent - Aosta
or: Turin - Ivrea - Aosta

- from Switzerland: Bern - Montreux - Martigny - Colle del Gran San Bernardo - Aosta
or: Sion - Martigny - Col du Grand Saint Bernard - Aosta
or: Bellinzona - Lugano - Como - Milano (only direction) - Novara - Aosta

- from France (also Genève): Tunnel del Monte Bianco (toll) - Courmayeur - Aosta
or (less expensive but a little longer, if you come from Genève take the tunnel!): Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo - La Thuile - Pre-Saint-Didier - Aosta

- from Austria: Brennero - Trento - Verona (only direction) - Brescia - Bergamo - Milan - Aosta

HOW TO REACH THE SUMMIT:

Normal route (PD+) :
From Cogne hike up the Val Lauson until you reach after approximately 3 hours the Rifugio Vittorio Sella (2585 m, guarded June-September). Continue following the trail heading in direction of Col Lauson until the junction at point 2844 m. Turn rigth (north) and climb Col de la Rousse (3195 m). Proceed climbing towards west and reach the Col de la Noire (3491 m) from where la Grivola finally appears. Cross the Trajoz glacier towards the bottom of the south-east flank. Start climbing in the middle of the wall. When you are half way up, cross right and then continue climbing. Afterwards cross right again and reach the north-east ridge. No head towards the summit. (6-7 hours from Rifugio Sella)
Pano Punta Bianca, Punta Nera and GrivolaFINAL SECTION

Red Tape

No permits required. No fees or seasonal closures although the huts are not guarded from October to May. Wild camping is prohibited.

When To Climb

From mid-June until september. Beware, snow is always possible.

Camping

Wild camping in the Parco Nazionale del Gran Paradiso is strictly forbidden!

On cogne.org you will find all informations about camping sites and hotels in the area.

Just for example:
Camping lo Stambecco

Hotel Bellevue
Hotel Sant'Orso and Hotel Grand Paradis


Huts and bivouacs:

Rifugio Vittorio Sella (2584 m):
Conca di Lauson (Cogne)
Tel.: 0039/0165/74310
eMail: info@rifugiosella.com

Rifugio Federico Chabod (2750 m):
Côte Savolère di Montandayné (Valsavarenche)
Tel.: 0039/0165/95574
eMail: info@rifugiochabod.com

Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele II (2732 m):
Moncorvè (Valsavarenche)
Tel.: 0039/0165/95920
eMail: segreteria@caitorino.it

Bivacco Mario Gontier (2309 m)
Alpe Gran Nomenon

Bivacco Mario Balzola (3477 m)
Col des Clochettes

Bivacco Luciano Gratton (3198 m)
Col Pousset
Grivola from Bivacco ArnoBIVACCO ARNO
Grivola in the morningBIVACCO GRATTON

Mountain Conditions

Esprit Montagne

weather conditions: Bollettino meteorologico VdA

weather conditions: meteo.it

Parco Nazionale del Gran Paradiso


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.