Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.11640°N / 74.1147°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3573 ft / 1089 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Indian Head (foreground ~...Indian Head in the Foreground


Indian Head is the eastermost high peak in the Devil's Path Range. Seen from a distance, its summit resembles the rugged head of an Indian lying on his back. There are many views from the eastern side of the summit, including a dramatic overlook (the Indian's nose?) known as Sherman's Outlook. From this viewpoint, there are views into Platte Clove and across the Hudson Valley over the Taconics and Berkshires. The trail drops almost vertically from this point to the bottom of the ledge. From the north, access is from Platte Clove Road, either via the Catskill Center's Platte Clove Preserve or via Prediger Road. The Devil's Path leads up Indian Head from the east; the Jimmy Dolan Notch Trail together with the Devil's Path provide access from the west. Indian Head is also accessible from the south and east, via the Overlook Mountain Trail from Meads Mountain Road north of Woodstock to Devil's Kitchen, then the Devil's Path.

Overview Quad showing loop...Map of the Route


Getting There

Thruway – Via Tannersville (Open all Year)

Exit the NYS Thruway at exit 20; turn left onto Route 32 at the light. Head West over the Thruway for 0.2 of a mile. Follow route 32 for a total of 6.2 miles at which time you will want to stay left on route 32A at the “Y”. Follow this to Palenville for 1.9 miles at which time you will want to stay left on 23A at the “Y”. Follow route 23A for 6.8 miles while passing through Haines Falls to the Town of Tannersville. At the only (as of 2002) traffic light in Tannersville turn left on County route 16. After about 0.3 of a mile stay right at a “Y” intersection. Follow County route 16 (Spruce Street) for 1 mile to a sharp turn to the left, stay left and follow County route 16 for 4.3 miles to Prediger road, turn right on Prediger road and follow for 0.3 of a mile to the end.




Thruway – Via Platte Clove (Back Mountain)

Exit the NYS Thruway at exit 20; turn left onto Route 32 at the light. Head West over the Thruway for 0.2 of a mile, stay straight on route 212; route 32 turns right here. Follow route 212 for 2.04 of a mile to a “Y” in the road. Turn right here onto County route 35 (Centerville), follow County route 35 for 1.43 miles to County route 35-33, turn left and follow County route 35-33 which leaves 35; west to the Town of West Saugerties for 1.9 miles. Continue straight through West Saugerties up the Back Mountain Road for 3.2 miles to Prediger Road. This road is closed in the winter and switches from County route 33 to County route 16 when entering Greene County. This ride is very scenic, steep and narrow. This was also the road used Greg LeMond during the Tour DeTrump. At the top is a parking lot for hiking down into Devils Kitchen. Also at the top is the Catskill Bruderhof Community (old NYS police camp) on the right. Turn left onto Prediger road and follow to the end for 0.3 of a mile.

There is limited area to park at the trailhead; I usually find a spot along Prediger road if none is available at the TH.

Long Path Trail Re-build
New Long Path Trail Bridge.


Long Path Trail from Phoenicia to Windham.


Red Tape

See the NYS Dep. of Environmental Conservation Web Site

Red Tape and info about Back Country Camping.

Weather - Conditions

Weather in the Catskills

Camping

Back Country Camping

Red Tape and info about Back Country Camping.

Mountain Biking

Rules of Mountain Biking
Rules of Mountain Bike

If looking for a place to stay and have a guided ride contact Mountain Bike Inn and ask for Ernie. Tell him Rik sent you, either you'll get a deal or a screwing. Regardless of the out come you'll have fun.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

Special Thanks

Special thanks to grandwazoo for his original submission of this beautiful mountain.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.