Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.74207°N / 119.98487°W
Additional Information County: Santa Barbara
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4528 ft / 1380 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Figueroa Mountain from the approach road
Topo
Zaca Peak

Figueroa Mountain is located in the Santa Lucia district of Los Padres National Forest in the Southern California wilderness area.


Figueroa Mountain, often referred to as Figueroa Lookout, is probably the most accessible mountain over 4000 feet in Santa Barbara County. During the winter months you may see a long stream of cars going toward this mountain to see and play in the snow. Depending on the depth of the snow, and if the gate that is only one half of a mile from the top is open or locked, you can drive all the way to the top to get a 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains. During the hot summer months in the nearby Santa Ynez Valley, the Figueroa Mountain Lookout provides a great escape.

 

View of Zaca Peak from the top

Figueroa Mountain is located in a lush and very scenic area. The drive to the mountain takes you past beautiful valleys and pastures. You are treated to the view of the most incredible oak trees along the road, and past the elevation of 4000 feet pine forest will dominate the area. During the spring season wildflowers and green hillsides will overload your senses. Since the road extending all the way to the top makes hiking an unnecessary endeavor. Most people opt for going up and down this and surrounding roads on their mountain bikes. Since the roads are quite winding, utmost care should be taken driving on these roads. 

Summit Sign



Amenities:

The Danish town of Solvang is located off Highway 154 just south of the junction with Figueroa Mountain Road. This town offers the best of Danish and Scandinavian foods and pastries. People are friendly and the architecture is interesting. The town of Los Olivos is located at the junction of Highway 154 and Figueroa Mountain Road. This town is known for its exclusive boutiques and nurseries. Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch is located about six miles up Figueroa Mountain Road.


Solvang
Solvang
Solvang

 

Getting There

Open Gate
Road sign

From the city of Santa Barbara on the southern California coastline, take Highway 154 and drive for seven miles to San Marcos Pass. Drop down the back side and drive 14.6 miles to the junction with Figueroa Mountain Road at the town of Los Olivos. Turn onto this road and drive eleven miles to where the road to Figueroa Lookout splits from the paved road. Take the left fork, a dirt road, and drive past Pino Alto Picnic Area. Figueroa Mountain Lookout is a short distance beyond. There are two buildings with radio and TV antennas on top. There are also a bathroom facility, a bench and a directional map marking the surrounding mountains. The views are spectacular.

Camping

Looking east from...
Peaks to the east of Figueroa Mountain

There are a number of campgrounds along Figueroa Mountain Drive in the Happy Valley area. Figueroa Campground is located a few miles before reaching the Figueroa Lookout.

There is also one very large and well developed campground at Cachuma Lake, and a few less developed ones along Paradise Road off Highway 154. There are also a few campgrounds along Highway 101 at El Capitan State Park and Refugio State Park.

El Capitan Beach Camping

Refugio State Beach Camping


Cachuma Lake