Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.12366°N / 117.07924°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7500 ft / 2286 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Panamint Towers is an area of amazingly high rock quality between Telescope Peak and Sentinel Peak; the terminus of Surprise Canyon, just west of the DVNP border. There is amazing potential for trad climbing here with hundreds of unclimbed cracks and slab.

Getting There

Get driving directions to Panamint, CA (not panamint springs). The directions will take you through Ballarat and to the parking lot at the base of Surprise Canyon. The hike in approx. 7 miles following Surprise Canyon. At 5.6 miles you'll reach the mining ghost town of Panamint City. See camping section for more details on Panamint City. This is a very strenuous hike with about 5000 feet of elevation gain.

Red Tape

Since this portion of the Panamint Range is completely outside of DVNP there is no fee and virtually no restrictions in this area.

Camping

There are cabins in Panamint City with cots and matresses. They are kept up by the campers who use them. This is helpful in reducing your load for the strenuous hike from the parking lot since you won't need a tent or pad. Water is available year round from a spring. In spring and summer Panamint City can get popular so don't be surprised if people are already staying in the main cabin. There are 3 other cabins however, so you'll probably find a good spot to sleep.

External Links

Pictures and Media
GPS Route from Panamint City to Panamint Towers
History of Panamint City