What to Do in Papuk?
Papuk offers beautiful environment with a relatively dense network of marked hiking trails. The length of the marked trails is approximately 200 km. Hiking in the Papuk mountains has long history. Nowadays there are 21 hiking communities with 3000 registered members in the surrounding province of Slavonia. Papuk is
Some hiking routes advised by the Geopark:
|Route||Length||Duration||Max. Elevation||Elevation Gain|
|Velika – Lapjak – Nevoljaš – Jankovac||8.9 km||3h 15 min||749 m||615 m|
|Velika – Češljakovački vis||8.5 km||2h 15 min||826 m||614 m|
|Velika – Mališčak – Orahove vode – Ivačka glava||8.8 km||3h||913 m||705 m|
|Vučjak Kamenski ("Lula") – Kamengrad||2.8 km||45 min||610 m||290 m|
The first sports climbing route in Slavonia has been created on the location of Sokolina near Velika/Velikeváralja. On the rock, among heights up to 12 meters, ten routes have been marked. The rock is built of quartzite. It is a very solid rock wall. The full height of the rock is more than 50 meters, but its height is divided into several ledges. Sports climbing routes are located on the south-western part of the rock.
The following routes have been created and offered by GeoPark Papuk:
|Route||Length||Max. elevation||Elevation Gain|
|Velika - Sokoline - Mališćak - Velika||18.5 km||720 m||532 m|
|Velika - Dubočanka - Velika||20.8 km||675 m||446 m|
|Velika - Jezerce - Jankovac - Velika||23.8 km||760 m||736 m|
|Venje – Donji Mitrovac – Hrnjevac - Venje||10.9 km||405 m||226 m|
|Venje – Donji Mitrovac – Kutjevo – Vinkomir – Vetovo - Lukač - Hrnjevac - Venje||19.2 km||328 m||306 m|
|Lake Duzluk (Orahovica) – Serbian Monastery – Kapavac – Castle Ružica – Lake Duzluk ||25.8 km||792 m||721 m|
A paraglide runaway is arranged on the southern slopes of Papuk, on the peak of Pliš (559 m). It is the first registered runaway site in this part of Croatia, and it is located near the Velika/Velikeváralja.
Important Summits and PlacesIn sequence from west to east:
1. Crni vrh / Fekete-hegy2. Točak3. Lom4. Papuk vrh / Papuk-csúcs5. Ivačka glava6. Lapjak7. Nevoljaš8. Jankovac / Jankovác9. Češljakovački vis10. Kapavac
1. Crni vrh / Fekete-hegyLisina/Fekete-hegyek. It is 863 m high. With this height it is the 5th highest name summit of Papuk. The prominence of this hill is 327 meter, defined by saddle Đedovica (536 m). This is the second most prominent peak of the whole mountain range.
4. Papuk vrh / Papuk-csúcs
5. Ivačka glavaThis is one of the best peaks of Papuk. With its 913 m height it is the second highest peak of the mountain range. There is no military station on its top. The peak is a steep rocky hill, with very good view in western, northern and northeast direction.
6. LapjakLapjak is not among the highest hills of Papuk – it is only 667 meter high. Still it is a very interesting place. This mountain has a the shape of a real mountain with its sharp pyramidal view from southern direction. The mountain is made of dolomite. A huge dolomite quarry is in operation in its western slopes. Luckily not much is seen from the tourist path leading on its main ridge. There are some rocky outcrops on the ridge. The most spectacular cliffs are called Tauberove stijene. A cross is erected here, and you can enjoy nice view from here towards the basin of Požega/Pozsega. These cliffs are only a few hundred meter far from the summit of Lapjak where you can find the log book of the mountain. The summit is covered by forest and there is no panoramic view from there.
7. NevoljašNevoljaš is a mountain near Nevoljaš Pass. This mountain has two summits. The north-western summit is the higher one: it is 771 meter high. This rocky peak (limestone) is covered by forest and no trail goes there. The lower south-eastern summit is 740 meter high. There is an outlook tower on this peak. From here you can enjoy perhaps the best panoramic view of the whole mountain range. In springtime the vegetation of this peak is the richest in the mountain range. The most beautiful flowers here are spring crocus (Crocus vernus), dog's-tooth-violet (Erythronium dens-canis), alpine squill (Scilla bifolia) among other common but still beautiful flowers like primrose (Primula vulgaris), snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis), ramsons (Allium ursinum), wood anemone (Anemone nemorosa), cuckooflower (Cardamine pratensis) and Helleborus odorus.
8. Jankovac / JankovácThis is not a mountain but a small mountain resort with the best attraction of the whole mountain range. Here you can find a limestone cave, a huge karst spring, 2 artificial lakes and last but not least the magnificent waterfall. This is the biggest waterfall of the whole Slavonia province. Tourists get good service here in the local tourist hut. There is also a souvenir shop, and there you can by a map of Papuk. In summer season (from the 30th April) car parking costs 10 HKR here.
9. Češljakovački vis
History and People