Pasochoca--Ecuador (2016)

Pasochoca--Ecuador (2016)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 55.09666°N / 153.91779°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 13, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Moving to Pasochoa, Tuesday, 12th

“Another Mount Totumas Cloud Forest place to stay”



Gabriela found a new advertised hacienda in the foothills of Pasochoa called “Pasochoa Adventure” that I would contact to get ready for the climb. I called up
And spoke to Estefania about the place. She stated they had not opened it but would consider doing it for me. She stated that the grounds were not yet organized and fully constructed but they could have the care takers (a young couple by the names of Javier and Lilli) cook for me. She told me she would contact the owner, Daniel, and have him contact me. He called later on and told me Estefania would come and pick me up and take me to Sangolqui where the owner of the Pasochoa hacienda, Daniel, will take me to the property. This would cost me $20. He said he charges $65 night with 3 meals or $45 with no meals. I told him I could buy my food on the way there so I would pay $45. Also he mentioned he could drive me to the trailhead and guide me to the summit for $50. I told him yes.

At about 3PM, Estefania came to the hostel and picked me up. We went to a market area/shopping center where I bought food for 2 days, and we also went to lunch while waiting for Daniel. He came and drove me to his finca, which he calls Pasochoa Adventure. His property is going to be developed into an eco-friendly farm where they will grow their own food and allow guests to roam the 33-arcre hills. Greenhouses already produce vegetables, and a large blackberry fields produces everything you can make from them. Lilli is an awesome cook and made me huge meals and helpings. Javier worked on developing the property while Daniel, who is also a Galapagos Scuba guide, is away.

This place reminded me exactly what kind of a stay I had in Panama about 7 years ago when I stayed at a new, off the map finca called Mount Totumas Cloud Forest, one of the best places to stay in a rainforest. The owners had just bought the property and were developing it into an eco-friendly place to stay and hike, just like this one.

Hiked around the property, picked blackberries, had dinner, and got my pack ready for the next morning.
blackberry patch
blackberry patch

finca trails
finca trails

NOTE: You can camp on the finca for $15/night with breakfast included.

Overnight on Pasochoa, Wednesday 13th

Daniel came by and picked me up at 8AM. He drove for about 45 minutes to the trailhead. He has permission to use another road that other hikers don’t have. Instead of cutting across pastures and grazing bulls, Daniel cuts about an hour off the average hike you would have to do otherwise, due to his permission to use an upper road. 
Trail-head
Trail-head


There are 2 streams within 40 minutes of the beginning for the hike where you can load up on water, Very clean too. The trail is easy to follow and you really don’t need a guide. You could talk to Daniel about cutting the $50 charge down to a transport charge only, but you would have to walk 12km back to the hacienda from the trai-lhead (I did because I over-nighted on the peak). 
1 tree hill
1 tree hill
Trail up
Trail up
Trail route marker
Trail route marker


With my loaded backpack, it took us 2.5 hours to the trail where you make a climb to the northern summit. If you are not carrying a load, you can make it in 2 hours. After the northern summit, we hiked across the ride to the southern summit (30 minutes). Very easy. Climb up through a tree/shrub area for 10-15 minutes and there you are. 
North Peak
North Peak
ridge trail to south peak
ridge trail to south peak


Daniel cut lose and returned. I found a spot between the two peak rocks to sleep for the night. There was abundant mountain grass so I cut tuffs and stuffed them into 3 medium sized garbage bags I brought with me. I used these as a mattress under my pad. Climbers came and went until it clouded over and started to rain lightly at 400PM. Sat around until 800PM with nothing to see except cloud and rain.
South peak
South peak
half rainbow
half rainbow

There were some breaks throughout the afternoon/evening, but very disappointing views. I set up my tarp and pack and sat around with my rain suit on. It stopped drizzling at 900PM so I put on my layers and laid down for a very cold and windy night. 
sleeping space
sleeping space
tarp covering space
tarp covering space

The next days Thursday and Friday, 14th-15th

Tossed about until 100AM, and turned about until 500AM. No clear sunrise appeared at all for the morning, but I did manage it through the clouds a bit. Itook some video clips and some pics.

By 900AM, I decided to pack up. Before I left, I took a crap on top of the summit (I shoveled it off the edge). You can return by going back across the ridge and turning down the way you came up. Or, there is a foot path that leads below the ridge and back to the main trail. This is shorter, but you have to pay attention to finding the main trail. Once on it, it’s easy to follow this down to the trail head. I made it to the trail head in an hour, but had to walk back to the hacienda, which was 12km.

NOTE: If you don’t camp on the peak and just want to hike to the peak and return with Daniel, he will drive you back to the hacienda as part of the $50 charge.

The walk back was not bad, but grueling on my feet, as the 12km road was all cobblestone. I made it to the hacienda at about 200PM. Lilli washed my clothes, served lunch, then I took a long nap. I told Daniel I wanted to get to Machachi to climb another volcano. Javier and Lilli are from Machachi and were going there Saturday AM and that I could share a ride with them. I decided to do this, also because Javier was going to enter his rooster into a cockfight tournament Friday night. So I stayed Thursday and Friday. Went to the cock fights with Javier on Friday night, and packed for Machachi on Saturday AM.

Javier told me his cousin lives on a property up near Volcano Ruminahui and could guide me up. I told him sure and made plans to climb this volcano on Sunday.

NOTE: Here is the contact information for Pasochoca Adventure:
No address yet. Contact Daniel Jacome via e-mail at galapaguide@gmail.com or phone outside of Ecuador at 593-997-963483, inside Ecuador at 099-796-3483.
Or contact Estefania at drestefania@gmail.com or inside Ecuador at 098-555-4865


Comments

No comments posted yet.