Peak 10931 via Smith and Morehouse/Erickson Creek

Peak 10931 via Smith and Morehouse/Erickson Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68070°N / 111.043°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an approach of up 10931 from the north. It is longer than some of the other routes, but is a highly scenic route.

The route follows the main Smith and Morehouse Trail to the Erickson Creek/Basin cutoff. The route then follows the trail up Erickson Basin and then east to Big Elk Pass and to the summit.

The upper Smith and Morehouse...he upper Smith and Morehouse Basin enroute to Peak 10931.

Getting There

The trailhead is at the Ledge Fork Campground. From Oakley (State Route 32), turn east on the Weber Canyon Road. Follow this road east for about 12 miles to where the Smith and Morehouse Road turns south. Turn right (south) at this junction and follow this good gravel road past the Smith and Morehouse Reservior. The road ends at the Ledge Fork Campground and the trailhead.

Smith and Morehouse RouteGuidebook scan of the Smith and Morehouse Route to Wall Peak and Peak 10,931. Dotted lines are off trail routes and dashed lines are trails.

Route Description

From the trailhead, the trail crosses Smith and Morehouse Creek on a good bridge shortly after beginning. The trail climbs gradually at first with a few short steep sections. After just over a mile the trail reaches an un-marked junction (don't worry if you miss it).

Continue straight on the main trail. The main trail continues another 1.75 miles to a signed junction. Take the trail to the right. The trail leaves Smith and Morehouse Creek and follows Erickson Creek to Erickson Basin after another two miles. There are a few steep sections along the trail. At Erickson Basin there is a minor junction (you may miss it).

From the junction, a new, and now the main trail, and the one you want, heads left (east) for half a mile to North Erickson Lake and then heads south to South Erickson Lake. From South Erickson Lake, the trail to the left that heads east is the one you want. Continue on this lesser-used trail east to Big Elk Pass by following cairns the best you are able.

To reach Peak 10,931 from Big Elk Pass, contour along the slope east to another pass. From this pass, scramble and boulder-hop east along the ridge to the summit.

Round trip distance is about 12.4 miles to Peak 10,931 and back.

Click for full sized map:

Route Map

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots, a map and compass and/or GPS are required.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.