Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.4735°S / 43.1921°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5249 ft / 1600 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Retiro Peak is one of the mountains belongings a Rio de Janeiro's sea range. There are two peaks forming the mountain group : Retiro Peak and Marco Peak ( 1545 mts. ). The tracks carrie to a small summit that is very beautiful, because it is inside the Petropolis City. The people has builded their houses around the mountain and the State, didn't interfere on it. Just today, the instituitions are looking for to preserve the mountain. Marco Peak is the "Retiro's brother "and they're together and there, have a cave that when come a windstorm or a hard rain, the climbers go there to protect themselves. The overview is fantastic.Up there , you can see all Guanabara's Bay, Rio de Janeiro City, Serra dos Orgaos National Park, Maria Comprida Peak and Seio de VĂȘnus Peak ( 1480 mts ). Seio de VĂȘnus means " Venus breast ".

Getting There

Retiro Peak is in Petropolis City, that be 100 km from Rio de Janeiro. To go to Petropolis, you'll have to take BR-040 road to North and turn at Petropolis. Getting there, go to Mosela district and ask to resident people : " - How do I go to Toca do Coelho for climbing Retiro Peak?". The mountain isn't a National Park, is a particular area, and you'll take a permission to go there. the track is very easy and when you'll approach the summit, you'll must have turns to left to go to Marco Peak, and to Retiro Peak, continues to the principal way. Be carefull, the ground is slippery.

Red Tape

Read the getting there section. The area is particular, you'll must be careful to go there. But , if you be a climber or hiking , it's very easy!

When To Climb

Every good day is a day! You can decide to drop down very fast. At winter is better because the cold is good here.

Camping

Just one camping exists at Retiro Peak summit. Only five tents fits at the top. I advise to don't camp at the mountain, because it's not much security ( storms ).

Mountain Conditions

www.cptec.inpe.br or www.trekkersteam.com.br

Credits

Thanks to Hugo Pereira to contribute with shots on this page.
Thanks a lot Hugo!