Petes Point Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 20

marladotson - Oct 16, 2022 8:55 pm Date Climbed: Oct 15, 2022

Pete's Point  Sucess!

Beautiful hike with 3 awesome friends. My 4th time on Pete's - one of my favorite peaks in the Wallowa's. Such a great view in all directions. Barely any wind on top on this warm, sunny day - enjoyed a 30 minutes lunch and enjoyed the fantastic scenery and identifying other places we have been to.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Jun 24, 2021 10:01 pm Date Climbed: Jun 23, 2021

From Tenderfoot  Sucess!

I've had a hankering to climb this one for many years, finally happened. My son and I camped at Bonnie Lakes, traversed the ridge above Dollar Lake just for fun, then headed up Pete's. It did not disappoint! We got treated to an evening thunderstorm and epic sunset for dessert.

triyoda

triyoda - Sep 10, 2019 7:38 pm Date Climbed: Jul 4, 2019

Nice cornice  Sucess!

Was a little worried about the cornice heading up, but fortunately didn't have to walk on it.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm Date Climbed: Jul 30, 2017

35 peaks in 16 days  Sucess!

Road trip! Josh and I did Hidden/East, Aneroid, Dollar Ridge, and Pete's Point. Pete's is a really nice peak. Trip report

What's this talk about a tram?

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Aug 1, 2017 3:16 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2009

Another disappearing one  Sucess!

Really getting pissed that all my summit entries are being deleted somehow. climbed this with Brian Clate and my dog Luna on a trip to the Wallowas in 2009. Wouldn't recommend taking a dog on this one. Exposure and one section where we had to hand her up as she could not have climbed it. so hot, we went down the other side and rested in a snowfield for an hour before heading back to camp.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Sep 10, 2016 2:39 pm Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2016

From the Tram  Sucess!

Summited with Chris Albertson starting from the Tram around 10am and going over east, hidden and aneroid. Hiked up the northeast ridge, saw several mountain goats along the way. Camped at the meltwater pond in the east facing basin, hail storm hit within 30 seconds of getting our tents set up. Did Sentinel and Polaris the following morning, followed by a long hike back to Wallowa Lake.

RyanHoover

RyanHoover - Aug 28, 2012 1:22 am Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2011

Aneroid Lake  Sucess!

Easy climb up the ridge, followed by some great scenery.

rfolkenberg

rfolkenberg - Oct 2, 2011 3:29 am Date Climbed: Sep 4, 2011

Nice Climb up ridge  Sucess!

Nice Scramble up ridge. Camping at Aneroid Lake. The views were beautiful from the top!

Snowslogger

Snowslogger - Jul 7, 2011 2:05 pm Date Climbed: Jun 4, 2007

Southern of the east ridges  Sucess!

Last peak in a two day trip up Mt. Howard (cheating by tram), East Peak, Hidden Peak, Aeroid Peak, and Petes Point, then out by Aeroid Lake. Camped near Dollar Lake (still under snow I think). Fun trip.

Troy B

Troy B - Jul 17, 2010 3:58 pm Date Climbed: Jul 15, 2010

Route Climbed: North Ridge  Sucess!

Very cool hike up the north ridge before dawn. I camped the night before at the base of the north ridge. Woke up before 4am and was off and hiking before 5. Snapped shots of the sun rising between Hidden and Aneroid from the upper slopes of Pete's Point. The early morning light in the lakes basin was spectacular. The upper lakes basin appears to still have a lot of snow.

Flanders

Flanders - Aug 29, 2009 9:51 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2009

EZ -   Sucess!

Once you get past all the steep stuff at the beginning.

Lunadog

Lunadog - Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2009

Phew!  Sucess!

Man, this one was tough for me. It was hot and I didn't want to do it but I trudged up. Twice in the grey rock area, my Dad had to lift me up to Flanders who made sure I was safe. I sort of froze up on the first Class 3 section but they had me secure and then after that, I just walked up to the summit. On the way down, my Dad and Flanders led me into talus and lupine which was not easy for me. I wanted to quit a couple times but had to go down. Got to rest in the snow below and eat it and roll around in it. It was great, especially since it is hard for me to regulate heat. Then we hiked over to Jewett Lake to camp and I crashed hard. I didn't want to hang around the campfire that night and I went to the tent early.

cjwhat

cjwhat - Aug 3, 2009 3:41 pm Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2009

North gulley  Sucess!

Pat and I started from Dollar Lake, over Tenderfoot Pass, then about half way to Polaris Pass. We climbed north up a gulley to the col between Pete's Point and Pt 9375. Took the ridge to summit from there. Descended via the SE ridge ... which would have been a better ascent route.

dervin

dervin - Feb 12, 2009 11:42 pm Date Climbed: Mar 12, 1998

Winter Climb  Sucess!

One of my favorite areas. I would like to get back there someday.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Sep 3, 2007 5:29 pm Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2007

Route Climbed: Up the N ridge and down the S ridge  Sucess!

I hiked in from Tenderfoot Trailhead with a couple friends and set up camp at Dollar Lake. We summited Aneroid that night, and my friends decided they were too tired to attempt Pete's in the morning. So I woke up at 5:45 and headed off in the early morning light. I attempted to maintain my elevation by traversing the north slopes of Dollar Ridge and quickly decided it would be better to just descend to the basin and hike back up. From the east base of the peak, I took the north ridge up and the south ridge down. The views from the summit were truly amazing... some of the best I've seen in the Wallowas. On the way back I climbed up Dollar Ridge and down to Dollar Lake rather than back down to the basin and back up to Dollar Lake. This turned out to be a much more enjoyable way to get between Pete's and Dollar Lake. Both requier about the same amount of effort and the views from Dollar Ridge are also spectacular.

J Fox

J Fox - Jun 27, 2007 3:14 am Date Climbed: Oct 5, 1997

North Ridge  Sucess!

I climbed this with my brother and grad school roommate a few weeks after moving from Boston to Idaho. We camped at Aneroid Lake and climbed the North Ridge from there. This was my first experience of climbing out west and I loved it. The Wallowas seemed so huge then compared to the Appalachians. I've climbed in a lot bigger ranges since but I still think of the Wallowas as one of my favorite places to camp and climb.

Infected Mushroom

Infected Mushroom - Aug 18, 2006 9:01 pm Date Climbed: Aug 7, 2006

Route: North Ridge  Sucess!

With clam, last summit of our adventure. See five day five person trip report.

Mr. Clam

Mr. Clam - Aug 9, 2006 11:02 pm Date Climbed: Aug 7, 2006

Route Climbed: North Ridge  Sucess!

Climbed on the 4th day of a 5 day Wallowa Journey.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Dec 3, 2004 8:42 pm

Route Climbed: NE Ridge Date Climbed: July 1976  Sucess!

This was the second summit of a traverse from Aneroid Mountain to the peak west of Aneroid Lake. From the summit of Pete's Point we hiked north, over that summit, and then along the ridge until we found a way to descend back into the basin north of the lake where we were camped.

mrh

mrh - Oct 27, 2004 12:34 am

Route Climbed: South Ridge Date Climbed: October 3, 2004  Sucess!

Climbed the south ridge from the vicinity of Tenderfoot Pass and descended down the north ridge. Great day with cool, clear skies. This was the last of six summits climbed in two days along the Wallowa/Imnaha divide.

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Petes Point' main page