Petrified Forest Trails & Lone Tree Trail

Petrified Forest Trails & Lone Tree Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.99611°N / 103.60483°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Petrified Forest Trails
North and South Petrified Forest Trails sit in the northwestern parts of the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. They start at Petrified Forest Trailhead and follow a common path for 0.6 miles to reach the top of a 2700 ft high plateau where the trails split. North Trail follows the northwestern edge of the plateau and South Trail the southern edge. Shortly after the split, the trails enter an area of badlands containing petrified wood. The trails then continue on the surface of the plateau to end at two different junctions with Maah Daah Hey Trail.


Lone Tree Trail
Lone Tree Trail starts at a junction with South Petrified Forest Trail on top of the plateau. It goes down a tree-filled side valley to reach the bottom of Knutson Creek Canyon. The trail then follows Knutson Creek to end at a junction with Maah Daah Hey Trail.

Getting There

See attached map for details. From west bound I-94 (no exit from east bound) take Exit 23 to West River Road (unpaved). I found the road well graded and passable by any car on the two days that I did these hikes. I did not measure distances (roughly 10 miles or less) but the road was signed for Petrified Forest Trailhead at intersections. Basically at first intersection take a left, then right and soon left and left again to reach the marked parking area.


North Petrified Forest Trail

This trail is 3.4 miles long, Petrified Forest Trailhead to Maah Daah Hey Trail.

At the Petrified Forest Trailhead, follow the trail east uphill to reach the top of a grassy plateau where the trail splits. Turn left onto North Petrified Forest Trail.

Near Petrified Forest TrailheadCommon area
Flat grassy plateauFlat grassy plateau


The flat grassy area suddenly ends and the trail goes down into badlands.

North Petrified Forest Trail
North Petrified Forest Trail


Petrified wood can be seen all around.

Petrified wood
Petrified wood
North Petrified Forest Trail
Petrified wood


The trail goes back up to the top of a grassy plateau where badlands can be seen to the north.

North Petrified Forest Trail
North Petrified Forest Trail


You will soon follow the trail down into a valley, cross a dry creek and go back up to reach a junction with Maah Daah Hey Trail.

North Petrified Forest Trail

South Petrified Forest Trail

This trail is 3.8 miles, long Petrified Forest Trailhead to Maah Dah Hey Trail

At the Petrified Forest Trailhead, follow the trail east uphill to reach the top of a grassy plateau where the trail splits. Turn right onto South Petrified Forest Trail.

Near Petrified Forest TrailheadCommon area


The flat grassy area suddenly ends and the trail goes down into badlands.

South Petrified Forest Trail
South Petrified Forest Trail


Petrified wood can be seen all around.

Petrifed wood
Petrifed wood


The trail goes back to the top of the grassy plateau, goes past the junction with Lone Tree Trail and ends at the junction with Maah Dahh Trail.

South Petrified Forest Trail
Big Bones


Lone Tree Trail

This trail is 3.8 miles long, South Petrified Forest to Maah Daah Hey Trail.

At the junction of South Petrified Forest and Lone Tree Trails, turn southwest onto Lone Tree Trail and follow it down a tree filled valley.

Lone Tree Trail
Lone Tree Trail


At the bottom of the valley, the trail turns left and follows Knutson Creek downhill.

Knutson Creek Valley
Knutson Creek Valley
Knutson Creek Valley
Knutson Creek Valley


Wild horse.

Wild HorseWild Horse


The trail then crosses Knutson Creek (which was very muddy when I was in the area), goes by an old watering hole and ends at the junction with Maah Daah Hey Trail.

Lone Tree Trail
Watering hole on Lone Tree TrailOld watering hole




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.