Pettit Peak Comments

mtwashingtonmonroe

Nice page!

-Britt
Posted Oct 4, 2005 10:20 am

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

Beautiful. I think you represented my sentiments accurately. :-)
Posted Oct 4, 2005 1:06 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Good. I'll be expecting feedback from everyone who dayhikes this as to whether they agree with you or me. :-)
Posted Oct 4, 2005 5:22 pm

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

Maybe I'll use this as the 1st day warm-up for next year's Challenge. If I do it in less than 20hrs, can we say it's easier? :-)
Posted Oct 5, 2005 8:30 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

I've no doubt that your approach is quicker--but I'm betting it might only be by 3 hours or so (assuming you climb Volunteer as well). Regardless, I don't necessarily equate hours out on the trail with how difficult an effort is--Pettit/Volunteer was only 1/2 hr longer than Milestone/Midway, but it felt far tougher. And I still think several hours of difficult XC would prove more tiring than a much longer time spent just crusing along on a good trail.

We'll have to wait for Rick, Jeff, or Glenn to provide an impartial third opinion. Maybe one of them will agree to try both approaches to compare them. :-)
Posted Oct 6, 2005 2:28 am

Bob BurdRe: Untitled Comment

Bob Burd

No need to wait for a third opinion. I concede my route is the less-optimal. Now I have to consider whether your route or Michael's (via Horsecreek Pass) is faster for dayhiking Volunteer. I will probably save that for 2008. :-)
Posted Aug 21, 2007 11:47 pm

GlennGUntitled Comment

GlennG

Nice, I wonder with these pages you set up if you encourage people to climb them, or make people think, "only a crazy man would try that."
Posted Oct 4, 2005 1:12 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Hey, I said it was one of the toughest peaks to reach in Yosemite... doesn't that make you want to go out and dayhike it?
Posted Oct 4, 2005 4:37 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Most of the approach is on good trail, so it's possible to make pretty good time out there--as I recall, it took 9.5 hours to reach Volunteer.
Posted Oct 4, 2005 4:54 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Interesting peak!

Posted Oct 4, 2005 5:32 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

The pettit jury might need some more pix to make up its mind, but this juror votes for acquittal
Posted Oct 5, 2005 2:04 pm