DeanNice start

It looks like this will be a very nice addition to SP. I traveled
through the Philmont ranch on my way from Colorado to Taos and I was surprised at how nice the area was. Having heard about Philmont from my brother who spent some time there, I was sorry I didn't have more time to explore. On Wheeler Peak, I met 5 team members (staff) from Philmont who were using their day off to climb New Mexico's highest peak and if I remember correctly, one of the staff members was from Temecula (where my sister lives).
Posted Dec 6, 2008 7:29 am

Alex WoodRe: Nice start

Alex Wood

Thanks! I had tried to start it awhile back but couldn't find the time. It is an amazing area, different and unique from other places. Oh cool! I hope to be doing alot of that next year (climbing and hiking on the days off) while I staff there. Oh really? thats cool. Cheers!
Posted Dec 6, 2008 12:53 pm

woodsxcProps

woodsxc

Gotta rep the BSA. I've never been (too expensive) but everyone I know has loved it. Nice page. Thanks for posting.
Posted Dec 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Mark DoironRe: Props

Mark Doiron

Thanks, Woodscx. Definitely something every Scout and Scouter needs on their bucket list. --mark d.
Posted Dec 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Mark DoironRe: Memories

Mark Doiron

When I was last there at the training center they wouldn't let the participants climb the Tooth--but Uracca Mesa was open. I've seen that view from Touch-Me-Not--Baldy looks oh-so-close, doesn't it? Anyway, don't overlook signing the climbing log--you'll have to scroll down near the bottom of the Philmont page to the "Have You Been to Philmont?" section for a link. --mark d.
Posted Dec 21, 2008 9:29 pm

John KirkGood Info

John Kirk

I've always been disappointed that this area is private - should be open to everyone without the need for an itinerary...
Posted Dec 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Mark DoironRe: Good Info

Mark Doiron

Each year, thousands of Scouts will be disappointed to not succeed in securing a slot to trek Philmont. With 3,000 folks on treks on any given summer day, as well as fall and winter programs, I'm not certain how they could possibly manage a higher usage rate. That said, there are certain programs that I've heard of that are open to large donors to the Boy Scouts of America. Either that, or become a volunteer and go with a local troop or council contingent. --mark d.
Posted Dec 30, 2008 3:44 pm

John KirkRe: Good Info

John Kirk

Thanks,

In reality the privatization is the cause for the high usage. The area would be much less impacted and easier for anyone to enjoy sans the scout ranch. Just my opinion...
Posted Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Mark DoironRe: Good Info

Mark Doiron

That's a good point; I think you're right. However, because of that privatization many young men will be exposed to the outdoors in a way that would never have happened had Philmont not existed. For many, even some who state it here on SP, this is the start of a long love with the wilderness. Some even describe Philmont as a life-altering experience. I think the good that comes from that offsets the fact that 137,000 acres of the U.S. is limited to registered Scouts and Scouters on official itineraries. BTW, John, you have some remarkably good photographs. Thanks very much for sharing them! --mark d.
Posted Dec 31, 2008 7:57 am

shanrickvGreat page!

shanrickv

Well done, guys. While I have never been to Philmont, I have heard great things about the place. I have always regretted my son losing interest in the Scouts. Baseball, guitar and snowboarding have taken their place, so I can't complain.
Climb On!
Patrick
Posted Dec 31, 2008 9:50 am

Alex WoodRe: Great page!

Alex Wood

Thanks! It is a really amazing place. Going to Philmont definitely helped me take more of an interest in hiking and climbing. Thanks for your comments!
Posted Dec 31, 2008 11:34 am

nartrebhistory section must go

nartreb

see copyright thread
Posted Jan 5, 2009 5:08 pm

Mark DoironRe: history section must go

Mark Doiron

I think you're being overly strict in your interpretation of the GFDL license in that thread. Please see my comment there. --mark d.
Posted Jan 6, 2009 8:41 am

RyanSNice work, with one suggestion

RyanS

The third paragraph of your opening section seems redundant. Perhaps consolidate the first and third paragraphs?
Posted Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Mark DoironRe: Nice work, with one suggestion

Mark Doiron

You're right! I've edited it. Thanks for looking and commenting. --mark d.
Posted Sep 25, 2009 8:38 am

Bubba SuessPure Nostalgia

Bubba Suess

I made a few trips to Philmont when I was a Scout. I can't wait to go back with my son (He just turned 3, still a long ways off)! Thanks for putting the work into this page.
Posted Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm