Middle Palisade Summit Register Can Lost

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ARosenthal

Middle Palisade Summit Register Can Lost

by ARosenthal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:39 am

I climbed Middle Pal via the east face yesterday. Upon summiting I found the summit register was inside a rusty old coffee can. Interestingly the Sierra Club register top was also in this can. After looking around a bit I found the Sierra Club register "tube" wedged between some rocks in a hard to reach place. Being thin and lanky I managed to wriggle in and grab (it was empty) it with the intention of bring it back up to the register location...

However things didn't work out quite so well. While climbing back around to the summit I set the can down for a second so that I could use both hands to steady myself as I lowered down to a small ledge. I must have set it down in a bad spot because the next thing I knew the can was flying down the east face! :shock: I assume the can came to rest either somewhere on the east face, the clyde glacier, or middle pal glacier. I looked for it on the way down but did not find it.

If anyone is heading up middle pal from the east keep an eye out for it. My bad for dropping the ball (or can, quite literally) on this one, hopefully someone will find it and return it to the summit. Also the register could use a new notebook if anyone is feeling generous.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:49 am

Shit happens!

Kudos to you for manning up, reporting it and asking for all to keep an eye out for the can.

Maybe you can contact the SC Peaks Register Section or just head to your local Army/Navy Surplus and get an ammo can to replace the one that flew. Just a thought.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 am

Thanks for being kind lol. I was actually thinking about getting in contact with the sierra club, I'll shoot them an e-mail.

no avatar
mlarkin2002

by mlarkin2002 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:36 am

1000Pks wrote:Blah blah blah...

Blah blah blah indeed...

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 am

mlarkin2002 wrote:
Blah blah blah indeed...

Weren't you supposed to be at the Twin Lakes TH this morning?

Slacker... :D

no avatar
mlarkin2002

by mlarkin2002 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:02 am

Bob Burd wrote:
mlarkin2002 wrote:
Blah blah blah indeed...

Weren't you supposed to be at the Twin Lakes TH this morning?

Slacker... :D

Don't be so full of hate.

I'll see you in a few hours :)

SkydiveKen

by SkydiveKen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:48 am

I am headed up on Wed. Any one know of a surplus store between Hollywood and Lone Pine?

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Okay, so we probably won't see a summit register up there if we make it to the summit next Saturday. oh well.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:52 pm

KathyW wrote:Okay, so we probably won't see a summit register up there if we make it to the summit next Saturday. oh well.

You can always take something up and start a new one, right?

autoblock

Can Found

by autoblock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 pm

I climbed Middle Pal yesterday, and the two guys I ran into on the mounain found the can several hundred feet below the summit. I suspect they'll turn it in.

By the way, is there a benchmark on Middle Pal? I didn't see it.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 am

The Chief wrote:
KathyW wrote:Okay, so we probably won't see a summit register up there if we make it to the summit next Saturday. oh well.

You can always take something up and start a new one, right?

I guess we could, but what difference does it really make if there's one up there or not? It isn't going to make the climb more or less enjoyable.

Mescalito345

Re: Can Found

by Mescalito345 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 pm

autoblock wrote:I climbed Middle Pal yesterday, and the two guys I ran into on the mountain found the can several hundred feet below the summit.

autoblock, did you bring along any extra gear, like ice axe and crampons? I'm heading up the Northeast Face route on August 22 or 23.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:48 am

Mescalito345 wrote:
autoblock wrote:I climbed Middle Pal yesterday, and the two guys I ran into on the mountain found the can several hundred feet below the summit.

autoblock, did you bring along any extra gear, like ice axe and crampons? I'm heading up the Northeast Face route on August 22 or 23.

Nah you don't need any of that stuff, the glacier is easy enough to climb up and down without them. :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:03 am

ARosenthal wrote:Nah you don't need any of that stuff, the glacier is easy enough to climb up and down without them. :)

Is this sarcasm or not?

Bigger glaciers than this in the Sierra you don't need these things for, and I was considering a trip out there sometime. So just asking...

Next

Return to California