16 year old lost at sea

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:35 pm

outofstep80 wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:
tonyo wrote:In my mind, "hero" is reserved for someone who's done something brave for someone else. A person who follows their dream and does something great or brave for themselves is not a hero. Shackleton was a hero. Hillary was a hero, but not for climbing Everest; he was a hero for what he did humanitarian-wise in Nepal. Many people reading this have done a lot more that's heroic than sailing solo around the world (not to diminish what this young lady is doing, by any means) or climbing Everest. I think we need to start saving the title "hero" for those who really deserve it.

This is the modern definition of hero - selfless sacrifice.

That is not the classical Greek definition. The classic Greek Hero, Hercules, did what he did for himself. Most of the Greek heros were bastards, face it. But they did great things.

Weird how time changes perspective that way.

DMT

Yeah, sometimes these things change for the best. I'm glad we have evolved past the point of having sex with young boys...at least the majority of us have. :lol:

Yeah, along with raping and pillaging . . .

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Alpinist wrote:Is there a double standard with respect to the search and rescue costs for people lost at sea as compared with climbers?

Good question, and something I've wondered myself. Especially when you consider that man is more out of his element on the sea than he is in the mountains, and the ocean is the only thing mightier than the mountains when it comes to wrecking a man, you would think that more people would be screaming about the rescue costs the way they do about climbing accidents.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 pm

cp0915 wrote:
The Chief wrote:Far better a man that serves and dies for his nation, regardless the cause, than any man that goes after their own selfish goals.

Nationalism is merely politics, Chief.

Certainly in today's self-centered Modern Goal Orientated Numbers Gaining Capitalistic terms.

Go back deep into man's history and you will find a far different cry. More like the survival of a culture that a people pertained to. In that case, those that selflessly gave their lives to protect the honor and good of the rest, was indeed Nationalism at it finest hour.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:43 pm

The Chief wrote:
cp0915 wrote:
The Chief wrote:Far better a man that serves and dies for his nation, regardless the cause, than any man that goes after their own selfish goals.

Nationalism is merely politics, Chief.

Certainly in today's self-centered Modern Goal Orientated Numbers Gaining Capitalistic terms.

Go back deep into man's history and you will find a far different cry. More like the survival of a culture that a people pertained to. In that case, those that selflessly gave their lives to protect the honor and good of the rest, was indeed Nationalism at it finest hour.

Can't disagree. Too bad those days are pretty well gone.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Back to the OP...

Read this Man's incredible journey and you will find the words that need to be applied here:

"Thus the voyage which I am now to narrate, was a natural outcome not only of my love of adventure, but more importantly, could have only come true but for my lifelong experience on the sea."

****This is in fact one of my top five all time favorite books. My dad made me read it when I was seven years old. Read it well over 15 times since and love it each time I do.
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm

FortMental wrote:As for training wheels, DMT, I considered it my responsibility to put training wheels on my kids' lives.... and then, know when to take the wheels off, and watch them fall on their faces a few times. I also pretended to look the other way, when they took the wheels off themselves.... Which bring up another point: There's a world of difference in teaching and training your kid to do something you do, and the kid who's done it entirely on his own because it was truly his/her own dream.

Damn!!!

Another good point dude!

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm

I won't comment on who's dream it was but I will make these points:

1) Do I consider her a hero? Nope.
2) Do I think she's adventurous? You bet.
3) Do I think she should have tried this so young? Who cares, kids are doing most things younger these days (sex, drugs, etc.). Plenty of worse things she could have been doing.
4) Do I care about the rescue costs? Not in the least, even if she was in Canadian waters and we footed the bill. That's what my tax dollars are for, police, fire, ambulance, coast guard, military, etc. If you divide the cost up between all of us it's pennies.

Wishing her the best of luck for a safe return and, if it truely is her dream, all my support on her next attempt.

Bruno

by Bruno » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 pm

The Chief wrote:Theses kids are only reflections of their parents desires. No more nor more less. Sorry, but these kids are far from heroes. Heroes do not accomplish self centered goals

+1

Wow, did I catch myself agreeing with you Chief?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
FortMental wrote:As for training wheels, DMT, I considered it my responsibility to put training wheels on my kids' lives.... and then, know when to take the wheels off, and watch them fall on their faces a few times.

I would say, FortMental, the same exact thing for the parents of either child in question. I see no child abuse in their choices, NONE. And FortMental, that is the only real dividing line imo.

DMT

I beg to differ Dingus.

Allowing ones children to do as they wish in the face of danger and their complete demise, regardless the vehicle, is in fact a valid form of child abuse with no uncertain terms.

Boundaries my friend.

no avatar
Gene

by Gene » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:38 pm

What's the purpose of being young other than to define yourself by taking risks? Ever climb a tree? Abby was in a state of the art yacht with all the bells and whistles. She was on belay and tied in well. A little rock fall made her cut short the route.

She had much better communication resourses and much better survival gear than my kid who just spent 6 months in rural Africa.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Gene wrote:What's the purpose of being young other than to define yourself by taking risks? Ever climb a tree? Abby was in a state of the art yacht with all the bells and whistles. She was on belay and tied in well. A little rock fall made her cut short the route.

She had much better communication resourses and much better survival gear than my kid who just spent 6 months in rural Africa.

A little rockfall? She is soooooooooooo lucky she is still alive.

Here's a modern day 500' DDG in 10-15' seas. I could only imagine the horror that she endured.

Funny you say that Dingus.

Would you have allowed your oldest daughter to drag race a car when she was 16? Or to sail around the world at the same at the age? Or, to solo Jolly Roger on the Stone? All or any, had she had asked your permission to do so?

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 pm

I do not think anyone here disagrees that complete neglect and indifference for one's children is in fact negligent and therefore a form of child abuse. I have not read a single post that makes me think anyone here is for blindly letting their kids do whatever they want without assessing the situation. I do not think the parents in either of the cases being discussed were negligent of inattentively assessing the dangers their child faced.

I think the real question is where should the line be drawn. I can’t imagine anyone here would believe it’s ok for a parent to let their 5 year old swim the English Channel period, let alone by themselves unassisted with nothing but their floaties. :lol: (How the hell do you spell floaties??) I think in both of the cases being discussed the line is much more gray. Would I let my 13 year old climb Everest with me? Probably not. Would I tell someone else they can’t do that?? Probably not. Would I take my 16 year old kid to Everest, maybe. Depends on the kid I would say.

So, my question is at what point is it actually child abuse?? At what point is it blind neglect?? At what point do you say to someone, your not fit to care for your child?? I do not think there is a clear, let me pull out my guide and see which side of the line it falls on, answer. What say you?

no avatar
Gene

by Gene » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 pm

When a parent has to weigh the success of setting a record in evaluating readiness, a definite line has been crossed; Abby's parents didn't evaluate her readiness to solo around the world. They evaluated Abby's readiness to set a record, primarily, and sailing solo secondarily.

Dude,

Her record attempt was blown way before she left port on this leg.

g

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:24 pm

The Chief wrote:
Damien Gildea wrote:And Mark Stratford made the 4th ascent of Mt Paget, highest on South Georgia, in 1994, then years later was killed serving in Iraq. More than a few good young British and European climbers never made it out of WW2.

More recently, Mark Evison never got the chance to go south: http://explorersweb.com/polar/news.php?id=18664

Oh here we go with Damien's self centered philosophy rants.

Far better a man that serves and dies for his nation, regardless the cause, than any man that goes after their own selfish goals.

But folks as yourself Damien, would not even understand that concept of true greatness.

The two young gentleman you share are in fact true heroes beyond that which the likes of you, Damien, will ever know, understand or experience. Period.

edit: Additions

Rick Poedtke,

What the fuck are you on about?

Someone mentioned people risking their lives in Antarctica then dying in war. I posted some similar examples. This is the internet. People do that. What has this got to do with any 'philosophical' views I may have on any subject?

I agree serving and dying to defend your country under attack is far more noble than any adventure expedition. I have never thought or said otherwise.

I have had family and close friends serving, in the past and right now. Sometimes they've talked about it. I admire their courage in serving. But they never brag about it on the internet, 'Chief'.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:And Mark Stratford made the 4th ascent of Mt Paget, highest on South Georgia, in 1994, then years later was killed serving in Iraq.
More recently, Mark Evison never got the chance to go south

Then why did you even mention these two fine young men and their ultimate circumstances, if not to make a point of certain current event in Southwest Asia... Damien?

What do their lives have to do with the OP concerning a 16 yr old girl lost at sea on a solo attempt in order to set a record... Damien?

And please do continue with the pompous ass self-centered attitude, Damien. Not one bit impressed nor do I care.
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to News