2 man tent

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
effectsofaltitude

sorry... off subject

by effectsofaltitude » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I apologize for voicing information that is not directly related to either of the products you asked about, but i just wanted to throw out my two cents. The MSR and MH tents you are considering are both great tents (i have set both up in fowl weather, and they go up fast)... however a lot of people flock to these brands simply out of name recognition (which I am not assuming in your case... simply stating). There are some other tent makers out there that will give you just about as much bang for a lot less buck. Last year on a whim, i purchased a chinook cyclone 3 (aluminum pole version) and it can "hang" with any tent I’ve ever used. Just as light.... just as easy to set up.... just as durable.... large vestibule... 4 season... $139 (on sale, last year). But good luck finding one. They have been on back order for 6 months. Some people say things like, "its really great for the price," but this tent is just, "really great...period."

I'll shut up now.

talusfinder

by talusfinder » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I have the skyledge. I love it. Have taken it car camping, overnight climbing trips (e.g. Capitol Peak), backpacking, and up Orizaba last Feb. Pros: Love the double doors, easy setup and light weight. Cons: I could see the length being a bit of an issue for taller people (works for me, I'm 5'11"). Also a bit snug for two, but with the pretty roomy vestibules it isn't too bad. In bad weather I'd make sure you were with a good friend. Could get a bit cold in there with the virtually all-mesh canopy. I have to repair one of the door zippers, but I think that one was my fault, not that of the tent. MH is repairing it for free. You'll need some beefier tent stakes, too.

Overall, very happy.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:58 am

Have you messed with tarps? The BD BetaLight is crazy good, and has tons of room for dude + gear.

I have a Mutha Hubba and like it, but I'm afraid the magic of the design looks lost on the Hubba Hubba.

Any more details on the conditions? Alpine? Weather?

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 am

WM bags are excellent. I've owned two and have been nothing but happy.

How serious are you about light? If there are no bugs, a tarp or tarp+footprint provides just as much protection for way less weight.

Two entries and two vestibules is not light at all. Why two entries for one person?

My mutha hubba with footprint (no mesh) is enormous (2 people + gear) and weighs 5.5 lb. Light enough?

A betalight is 1lb.

And you can have anything in the middle.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:40 pm

On my tent list T had: Sierra Designs "Meteor Light", ALPS "Extreme 2", MSR "Skinny 2", REI "Arete ASL 2, MSR "Hubba Hubba HP", Black Diamond "Skylight". I thought I narrowed it down to The Sierra Designs or the ALPS. But after Squishy's post I'm thinking differently. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm

My troop bought a set of Hubba Hubba's for backpacking. A few guys liked 'em so much they bought their own for personal trips. I'm a Sierra Designs man, but I've only heard positive reviews of the MSR.

no avatar
robpatterson5

Hubba Hubba

by robpatterson5 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:45 am

The MSR is the way to go, we have the MH and MSR tent on a trip to Robson this summer, the MH was a fair bit smaller then the MSR, too cramped for two for prolonged rain.
SD makes some nice tents but so far does not have anything on the Hubba Hubba - I think that will be my next tent.

Return to Gear