Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

2010 CA SP gathering, Round Top, March 27th 9:30am

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby Dragger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:08 am

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory

I suggest checking the forecast and being prepared. That's what I do anyway.
Dragger

Postby rhyang » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:52 pm

MooseTracks wrote:Agreed: unstable snow means this moosie will find another route.

Music to my ears :)

As for the rest: yes, dear :lol:

Jeez, for a minute there I thought you might mention the time on Eichorn Pinnacle when I brought a 50m instead of a 60 .. now that would be embarrassing ! :mrgreen:
rhyang

Postby Craig Peer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Jeez, for a minute there I thought you might mention the time on Eichorn Pinnacle when I brought a 50m instead of a 60 .. now that would be embarrassing !

50 meter rope? HA - that's so '70's..........

ImageImageImage
Craig Peer

Postby rhyang » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Craig Peer wrote:ImageImageImage

I dig the sweet threads and haute coiffure, but alas must forego the 'fro in favor of the traditional headdress of the Llamatarians -

:mrgreen:
rhyang

Postby Princess Buttercup » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Craig Peer wrote:
ImageImageImage

Wait... is that Rob in the first picture???

No, the one in front... :twisted: :twisted:

"What do you mean you want me to climb???"

<SWAK> Who luvs ya, baby? :roll: :shock: :D
Princess Buttercup

Postby rhyang » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Last time I was up there the register was nearly full, so I will throw a spare notebook in the pack.

And remember your hats, people -

:mrgreen:
rhyang

Postby Bill Kish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 am

A group of us went up the right fork of the CMC on Saturday with perfect snow conditions. The final step to the (East) summit was however a bit thin and icy. Hope you guys have great conditions next week!
Bill Kish

Postby Palisades79 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:31 pm

There are current Roundtop pictures taken last weekend on the Backcountry Ski/Board Trips Reports forum on the Message Board at www.thebackcountry.net . Have a great climb !
Palisades79

Postby Vertigo soul » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Dito what Kish said.

I was up there on the 19th, climbed CMC (right side) as well. Good conditions all the way up. A thin breakable crust on top with nice soft snow under that. Had crampons, but were not needed as I was able to kick step in quite well. The skiing in the North side bowl was good - mostly wind scoured but breakable, semi-soft snow at top and as I got further down close to Winnemuca Lake the top inch or so was nice corn. It was a bit warmer on Fri. than the rest of the weekend.

Have fun everyone! Wish I could join ya all, seeing how I don't believe I've met most of you going. However, had already planned a Mammoth trip instead.
Vertigo soul

Postby Diggler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 pm

I sorta have a hankerin' to do Thunder Mountain (the summit above Kirkwood), & according to my calculations there should be a little bit of time following the Round Top trip. Anybody interested in going to Silver Lake afterwards & giving it a go? With a little planning (& a shuttle), one could start at Silver Lake, summit Thunder, then end up at the base of Kirkwood afterwards. One-way from Silver Lake to the summit would be 3-4 miles. Skis would make this quite feasible (i.e. it would be way preferable if you had skis)!
Diggler

Bailing

Postby depclimb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 am

Going to have to bail, Becky made regional championships.......never would have guessed.
depclimb

Postby jeff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 am

I'm sorta late to this party, but is this still on for Saturday? Scrounging up a pair of snowshoes on such short notice might be an issue but if I can then I'll be there. Did it two years ago and had a great time.
jeff

Postby Matthew Holliman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:41 am

Diggler wrote:I sorta have a hankerin' to do Thunder Mountain (the summit above Kirkwood), & according to my calculations there should be a little bit of time following the Round Top trip. Anybody interested in going to Silver Lake afterwards & giving it a go? With a little planning (& a shuttle), one could start at Silver Lake, summit Thunder, then end up at the base of Kirkwood afterwards. One-way from Silver Lake to the summit would be 3-4 miles. Skis would make this quite feasible (i.e. it would be way preferable if you had skis)!

A better option IMO would be to follow the ridge over to Thunder. Bob and I did something similar a few years back, albeit in the other direction, traversing the ridge from Martin Point over Thunder, Timble etc. to Round Top, descending Crescent Moon Couloir. One of the best snowshoe outings there is around Tahoe, I think.
Matthew Holliman

PreviousNext

Return to California