Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
ocmousepad wrote:I sure hope these small eastern Sierra towns survive and provide food and motel rooms in the future.

In Lone Pine, they're charging enough for motel rooms to do more than fine all summer. Don't know about the winter, though.

In winter, there's a lot of traffic from skiers coming through, so I'm sure they do fine then as well. I think the towns that are hurting are the small ones in between Lone Pine and Bishop.
Luciano136

Master's category - Green Jersey

Postby SillyUncleKarl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Congratulations Bob Jones for winning the master's category! (and 2nd yellow, 9th polka dot - WHEW!)

The Stats Sheet shows 4 of the top ten were masters, and at least 8 (maybe more) of the top 20.

I'll have to step it up next year just to keep up. Great inspiration and motivation.

And... next year Bob Burd will be in the "Masters" category. (say it isn't so)
SillyUncleKarl

Postby seattlehiker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Congrats to everyone...Sean, Bob, and Bob, you must be some kind of genetic mutations to withstand such punishment and repeatedly ask for more. In fact, I think all of you must be to embark on such a sadistic journey...Sorry I could not join you for the last 2 days. Felt much better the morning after Skyhaven, but too much swelling in the shin and ankle kept my vertical ascents limited over the ensuing several days. Nevertheless, even if only for a day, spending it over 13000 feet with great people (thank you Jeff, Darija, et al for your help), and getting 4 summits in was priceless.
seattlehiker

Pure awesomeness

Postby jdmorris » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:09 am

What a blast! :D

I saw more of the Sierra in the 10 days of the challenge than in the last handful of years I've been visiting the area. It was great to meet the Bobs, Laura (huge congrats, again!), Sean, Karl, Vitaliy, Darija, Dirk and the dozen or more others that I spent time on trail and on summits with. I hope to be back for Royce, Merriam, Abbot, Dade, Bear Creek Spire, Cloudripper, Goode and Agassiz (and maybe the Palisades traverse?) before summer ends now that I've gotten to scope them out and learned how easily I can bag a bunch of peaks in a day. My fingers are crossed that there will be a Sierra Challenge next year (and the years following ;) )... I would never miss it (and I'll try a little harder to make the podium, next time, too). Cheers and congrats to all!

JD
jdmorris

Postby carolena » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:25 am

What a great time I had. I had no idea what I was getting into. This being my first Challenge, when we met in the dark hours of 5am I was ready to run in the other direction. I lucked out and met Jeff and Paul who gently introduced me to the Sierra peak climbing Bob Burd style.
I am not of the fast variety but of the slow and steady type. Everyone was so encouraging. And fun when ever I got to talk to anyone.
Thanks for not limiting the type of participant. The diversity of folks was most of the fun.
And I too am hoping for #11.
Carol
carolena

Postby Vladislav » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Bob, you should think of putting together the best of Sierra Challenge for the next year. Are you up to the challenge of putting such a list together?
Congrats to all who took part this time! I hope to join you all next year for the best of challenge!
Vladislav

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Doug! You probably know most of those peaks better than I, but it looks to me like you are trying to maximize the driving!
mrchad9

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am

The time off is my main problem as well (and not being able to do a 10k gain day). I was already tired after day hiking University Peak last year LOL My knees wouldn't agree either.
Luciano136

Postby Michael Graupe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:32 am

If you make the challenge really hard you will not find many hiking the peaks. See last year for example. The four days of 15+hr hiking was really pushing the limit and only very few people even attempted the hard peaks such as McGee, Charybdis, Marion, Deerhorn. Everyone else was looking for easier alternatives.
Michael Graupe

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 am

Michael Graupe wrote:If you make the challenge really hard you will not find many hiking the peaks. See last year for example. The four days of 15+hr hiking was really pushing the limit and only very few people even attempted the hard peaks such as McGee, Charybdis, Marion, Deerhorn. Everyone else was looking for easier alternatives.

Correct! The only day I could come up last year was Caltech Peak (20mi RT and 9800 gain). So, I did a solo hike up Uni peak instead since I would've died trying Caltech.
Luciano136

Postby Bob Burd » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 am

Michael Graupe wrote:If you make the challenge really hard you will not find many hiking the peaks. See last year for example. The four days of 15+hr hiking was really pushing the limit and only very few people even attempted the hard peaks such as McGee, Charybdis, Marion, Deerhorn. Everyone else was looking for easier alternatives.

Agreed. This year's easier agenda was far more enjoyable than last year's.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to California