2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15

by Bob Burd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm

If you missed the previous Challenges and had to be content with reading the daily logs on SP, now's your chance. In fact, it may be your last chance since this is the 10th and likely final Sierra Challenge I'll be organizing.

The all-new 2010 Sierra Challenge gives you ten days in August to challenge your stamina and your sanity amidst the beauty that is the Sierra Nevada. Leave your heavy backpacks and marginal camp foods behind. Climb some impressive peaks with a daypack and enjoy fine Eastern Sierra cuisine at day's end. Join us for one day or all ten, to test your legs in the backcountry or just to meet fellow SPers. We already have a bunch of folks signed up this year, always room for more. :D

For those who aren't familiar with the yearly Challenge, in a nutshell - we drive up and down the Eastern Sierra for ten days and climb 1-2 cool peaks each day. Mostly carrying a light daypack, sometimes crampons/axe. It's primarily a hike/scramble event, with little technical rock climbing. It's generally a pretty exhausting day, but most participants would use the word "fun" somewhere in their varying descriptions. This is not a race, there are no official sponsors, and there are no prizes. The link above will give you all the info.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:53 pm

tazz wrote:CA doesn't have group size restrictions like WA has? only groups of 12 allowed in wilderness. then there must be 1 mile separation between groups of 12...and blah blah blah.

There are group limits for off-trail travel (15 or less in a party) in Wilderness, but no restrictions that I know of on trails. And we are always splintered into much smaller groups by the time we get to the cross-country portions.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:45 pm

I'll be flying from a conference in Baltimore to (likely LA) sometime on Sunday August 8th. Will be looking for a ride to the Sierra on the 8th or 9th. Volcanic Ridge would certainly be a good first day if I can get in on the 8th. :D

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: 2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15

by Bob Burd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 pm

dynamokiev98 wrote:I want to sign up at least for part of it! Where can I?
You sure you will be able to keep up Bob?! (kidding)

Here

graham

by graham » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Bob Burd wrote:...... In fact, it may be your last chance since this is the 10th and likely final Sierra Challenge I'll be organizing.....
The grand finale eh :?:
Bob, you have to be commended for organizing all the Sierra Challenge events, that quite a feat in itself 8)
Dang, I’ll have to start training now so I can be part of this historic Challenge....at least to get that 10-year old t-shirt :D

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Grahamcracker, I would be mad at you for NOT coming out to play! :D

Oh, and I think a Tuesday night Moosie-Q would work out fine... Bob, you bringing those fruity things again? :twisted:

Shawn

by Shawn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 pm

This sounds awesome, Bob. I've watched from the sidelines over the years and have always been interested. The timing looks doable for me this year and I may join up for this. Sad to hear it's the final year and that much more incentive to finally get in on the fun!

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Laura, I'm in for the Tuesday night Moosie-Q. I call shotgun on your couch for that night :wink: .
Bob, I'll be @ the Moose Lodge earlier this year so you & everyone but Laura won't have cleared out by the time I get there.

McCannster

by McCannster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:55 pm

I'll actually be coming form Vegas I believe, I can only participate in the last 5 days of the challenge. Dinner Tuesday night??? I'm there!

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Looking forward to SC2010. Already have quite a crew lined up. Nice once a year reunion with these cats. With distances and elevation gain less than recent years, it will likely mean more challenge and bonus peaks needed to be in the running for one of the coveted jerseys. Maybe Sean will have 30 peaks this year! Ha! :D We need to work on Bob to take this event to another mountain range in 2011.
Scott

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 am

MooseTracks wrote:Oh, and I think a Tuesday night Moosie-Q would work out fine... Bob, you bringing those fruity things again? :twisted:

We are of course honored to be invited to back to the Moose Lodge for BBQ. It was certainly a highlight last year!

Misha

by Misha » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 am

Hmm, I may have to join you for a day or two this year Bob. Maybe we'll finally meet in person then :)

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:03 am

Bob Burd wrote:
MooseTracks wrote:Oh, and I think a Tuesday night Moosie-Q would work out fine... Bob, you bringing those fruity things again? :twisted:

We are of course honored to be invited to back to the Moose Lodge for BBQ. It was certainly a highlight last year!

Well, since this year I have more than a little notice, I'll have to actually prepare stuff! :D Hmmm... I might have to give you the key to the kingdom, Bob, so you can get things started. I have a feeling I won't have much down time to lounge at Looney Bean in the afternoons...

The countdown continues...

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Less than a month to go now till the 2010 Sierra Challenge. Its popularity continues with over 40 folks signed up. I will be on some Columbia Gorge training hikes to prepare. Might get up on the shoulder of Hood or Jefferson depending on local snow conditions. :D

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 pm

ocmousepad wrote:Less than a month to go now till the 2010 Sierra Challenge. Its popularity continues with over 40 folks signed up. I will be on some Columbia Gorge training hikes to prepare. Might get up on the shoulder of Hood or Jefferson depending on local snow conditions. :D

Was on Hood 3 days ago. Debris (snow, rime, ice, "rock," ...) falling down all over the place, esp. on the S side. Questionable snow stability makes travel on steeper snow unenjoyable (if not just bad) as well. Just to give you the heads up!

Next

Return to California