2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Dougb wrote:I mean how do you do it?

Doping. And lots of practice. At doping, that is.

Daria

by Daria » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
Dougb wrote:I hear you Bob, you are wise to disregard my input! I never was good at dayhiking, at least on consecutive days like that, I guess I'm more of a backpacker. I am amazed at what you are doing, guys like you and Matthew, and Sean, I mean how do you do it? You are like the Lance Armstrong of the mountains 8)

Let the hero worship begin!

What keeps you going is all psychological-believe it or not there is a certain degree of enjoyment in doing these peaks, and when it reaches an obsessive level-it turns into consecutive day hiking. Mentality and enthusiasm and dedication dictates physical ability.

Bob, I think the best combination for Sierra Challenges is throwing in some shorter, "fun" days-with a few challenging super hard day hikes sprinkled in there. There is some strong satisfaction to be had after completing some of those very long and strenuous more remote peaks. You reach a certain level where you naturally crave to push yourself harder just to get a bigger high and shorter day hikes just doesn't cut it anymore.

This years challenge predominantly had very horrible scree terrain-although challenging and good practice in its own right, there are more enjoyable peaks for purely climbing purposes. It's always preferable to enjoy 3rd class/4th class ascents and next years challenge should have a healthy picking of these.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Darija wrote:This years challenge predominantly had very horrible scree terrain

Welcome to the Sierra LOL

Michael Graupe

by Michael Graupe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:PEOPLE WANT CARL HELLER!!!! ON THE LIST!!! : )))))))))

But only with the George Creek approach. :))

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Darija wrote:Bob, I think the best combination for Sierra Challenges is throwing in some shorter, "fun" days-with a few challenging super hard day hikes sprinkled in there. There is some strong satisfaction to be had after completing some of those very long and strenuous more remote peaks. You reach a certain level where you naturally crave to push yourself harder just to get a bigger high and shorter day hikes just doesn't cut it anymore.

This years challenge predominantly had very horrible scree terrain-although challenging and good practice in its own right, there are more enjoyable peaks for purely climbing purposes. It's always preferable to enjoy 3rd class/4th class ascents and next years challenge should have a healthy picking of these.

I truely think YOU should organize next year's event. You should also have the right to pick the participants...

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Black Kaweah would be great and all, but I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near it if a group of people were heading up it. Loose rock city!

Previous

Return to California