Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

2013 Sierra Challenge Aug 16-25

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: 2013 Sierra Challenge Aug 16-25

Postby Ze » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Not only is Pat blazing fast, she has such a positive energy and attitude and such an obvious love for the mountains and the challenges they bring. I'm glad I met her.
Ze

Postby Bob Burd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:13 pm

I am very sorry to report that Pat Hadley fell to her death yesterday morning on Diamond North. She was climbing alone at the time along the NE Ridge from Baxter Pass. Though rated class 3, the ridgeline is composed of very loose rock over a series of gendarmes and steep chutes. Some hours later her body was spotted by three other participants who reached the summit, about 150ft below the summit on the SE side of the ridge. One of them went down to check her pulse, but found she had probably died instantaneously. SAR is currently working to bring her remains back to Independence this afternoon.

All of us are devastated by this tragic loss. Our prayers and thoughts go out to her husband, family and a wide community of friends that will undoubtedly be greatly affected. Over the short time I had known her, I found her to be one of the most accomplished and kindest persons I have had the privilege to meet.

The rest of the Challenge has been canceled out of respect for Pat and her family. You will be sorely missed, Pat. God bless.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby bcrowell2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm stunned to hear about Pat's death. I had just met and climbed with her for five days in July, and remember her as an amazing climber and a wonderful companion. Her good character came through in a lot of little ways, like sharing her limited supply of coffee with me and letting me have a whole cup without mentioning that that was only going to leave her with half a cup. The other two of us on the trip were operating way below her level, and she was very gracious about helping us out on the Mt Russell ridge, where we weren't feeling very confident. It was a real rush climbing with her because it was so obvious how much fun she was having. I think that comes through in this picture of her celebrating on the summit of Russell. Pat was an exceptional person, and I feel very privileged to have had a chance to get to know her, however briefly.

a.jpg
Pat Hadley on the summit of Mt. Russell
a.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 7640 times

-Ben Crowell
Last edited by bcrowell2 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcrowell2

The following user would like to thank bcrowell2 for this post
artrock23, cab

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet princess:
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest! ;(
MoapaPk

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Norris, Steve Larson

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 pm

My condolences to Pat's family, friends, and everyone who knew her. Extremely tragic, unfortunately you can never know how to prevent such things in every case. Best wishes to everyone around her who is dealing with her loss.
mrchad9

Postby bob mc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I am stunned by Pat's death. I hadn't seen her since last October. I remember her talking about you Bob Burd this and Bob Burd that and racing to the register on Whale peak to find your name. You were her hero. I am glad that she got to hike with you as you had inspired her to go to the next level. So tragic that what should have been the beginning became the end. Rest in peace Pat, you will be missed.
bob mc

Postby QITNL » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Very sorry to hear this. I had been following this thread, somewhat in awe of the distances and elevations you have been covering. It sounded like she was an amazing climber and a wonderful person. Best luck to all of you.
QITNL

Postby bobmc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 pm

I met Pat only briefly at the start of the Crown Point hike but remember being impressed by her boundless energy and warmth, and by how she greeted everyone as "my friend." She will be greatly missed.
bobmc

Postby inconsolable » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 pm

I'd been reading the earlier posts about Pat with delight; her quality shone through every mention. My condolences to her loved ones, as well as to all who'd been enjoying her company.
inconsolable

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 pm

A very sad turn of events....much sympathy to her loved ones.
jesu, joy of man's desiring

Postby Burchey » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Very sad. Let us take this and remember to take extra care while we're up high.
Burchey

The following user would like to thank Burchey for this post
bscott, Norma R

Postby orbitor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:06 am

Pat was one of the best climbers, cyclists, runners and overall adventurers you can think of. Her positive attitude was infectious and her experience vast, the combination of which resulted in such inspiration to all who were privileged enough to know her. Words cannot express our loss.

I feel blessed to have done several trips with Pat, most recently to Mt. Williamson. Pat was in the lead most of the time and the first to reach the summit. I cherish all our summits and all the moments we spent together. It is devastating to know I can never again look up at Pat and find the motivation to keep climbing, higher and higher, but our memories together will never be forgotten. Thank you for teaching me that life IS worth living on the highest summits!

REST IN PEACE, PAT. YOU WILL BE MISSED DEARLY.

Pat with the Williamson summit register
orbitor

The following user would like to thank orbitor for this post
artrock23, cab, Marcsoltan, Marmaduke, myles, toxo

Postby SpazzyMcgee » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:14 am

Oh, fuck.

RIP.
SpazzyMcgee

Postby butitsadryheat » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:14 am

Wow. Condolences to her family and friends, which appears to be many. Hope all find a way to cope with the sudden loss. I hope when I pass it is doin something I love doing as much as it seems she did. RIP
butitsadryheat

Postby ScottHanson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:11 am

Kindness and competitiveness. A year ago at SC2012 day 10 with the days climb completed several folks were enjoying beers outside a Independence Motel. The subject of 1-armed push-ups came up. A woman declared she could do 10. It was Pat Hadley and the push-ups followed. Whoa! I knew then that this is a very competitive person. Through her interactions with others, it was also clear she was a very kind person. For many days during SC 2013 she was performing exceptionally well. I am sure many people were rooting for her success. That is why this recent news is so hard to swallow. Rest in peace, Pat; you have impacted many lives in a positive way.
ScottHanson

The following user would like to thank ScottHanson for this post
BiletChick, cab, tb00957

PreviousNext

Return to California