4 Days in Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
jerky1280

4 Days in Colorado

by jerky1280 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:20 pm

All,

This summer I have 4 days to spend in south/central Colorado while I move cross-country. I drop my wife and daughter off at Denver International the morning of June 10th, then have to leave the area enroute New Orleans the 15th. The way I figure it, that give me 4 days to hit summits. I'd like to try and pick out 4 summits/day hikes that include no more than class II or light/occasional class III. I'll be solo, and plan to be crashing either in my car or a tent. I'm in quite good shape, and can generally cover 15 miles or 6,000 vertical feet (or some combination thereof). I'll be going pretty lightweight - most likely with no more than running shoes, water, and a few bare essentials - and plan on running the flats/downhills when possible. I'll have spent about a week at 4,000 prior to this trip, so will have some prior acclimation.

I'm thinking of Elbert, and starting my research for others. I looked over Longs Peak keyhole route, and some of the sections (keyhole, narrows, ledges) look a bit too technical for me to do solo. I'm looking for a rewarding effort with great views.

I'll primarily be going in running shoes and a running vest, but will carry some light traction devices (Hillsound Trail Crampons or similar) as needed for light snow.

technicolorNH

Re: 4 Days in Colorado

by technicolorNH » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Check the post above yours regarding 14ers accessible from I-70 if you haven't already.

It's a wise choice to bring microspikes on any hike in Colorado in June. Even if you don't need them, they are still nice to have.

Regarding Long's Peak, if the park rangers have not yet rated the climb as non technical you won't be allowed to climb regardless of your skill level unless you possess the requisite gear. Trust me when I say that you are completely capable of doing the Long's Peak Keyhole route technical moves on a dry morning while it is snow and ice free. There is NO route finding required because the route is so well marked and if you are there on an excellent weather day the route will have people all over it that will mark the way. The main question here is exposure. The route has some air to it and no, you can't walk away from the area that is exposed and get to the summit. If you don't have a deathly fear of heights you should be fine but if you have no experience with this, it is going to take longer than usual in some sections, particularly if there is traffic.

Since you only have 4 days to play with a trip to the San Juans or Elks is probably out. Thus, your search will most likely focus on the Front Range, the Sawatch, the Mosquito Range, and possibly the Sangre's. The Sangre de Christo's are a bit further south and have longer approach times with slightly more difficulty in general but if you want higher complexity this is where you would want to go. The Sangres are more difficult than the Sawatch and Front Range by standard routes and the trailheads require more 4 wheel drive; the trailheads vary from the mildly challenging west side trailhead for Challenger and Kit Carson to the utterly vile Lake Como Road for Blanca and company.

All five of the Mosquito Range 14's and Quandary are no more than Class 2 via standard routes and the trailheads for all are usually decent by June. The Decalibron is a remarkably short climb that covers four of the 14's in a loop pattern with excellent views, particularly from Democrat. Quandary is one of the best 14's for a novice to try before going on to bigger and better climbs and the parking lot is adjacent to a paved road.

As for the Sawatch, Elbert is a sweet intro to 14's. It might be the highest but it is surely one of the easiest, although it is a bit longer than Quandary or Bierstadt. The trailhead for Elbert and Massive are very close to each other up a 2wd dirt road. The Sawatch Range in general have four hour approach times if you are in shape and the trail is in reasonable shape and you go via the standard route. Many trailheads are next to paved roads.

The Front Range has Grays and Torrey's Peak, which has a 2 WD trailhead and Bierstadt is a bit off I-70 in Guanella Pass but has a parking lot just below treeline off a paved road, making it one of the shortest outings for a 14. Evans of course has the paved road going up to the top, but I am unsure what date it is plowed out by. There are multiple trailhead options for Evans from a paved road, including a traverse from Bierstadt via the Sawtooth (which is Class 3). Pike's Peak is an option if you want to hike a very LONG trail, or you can cut it down a bit by starting higher up (rather than Manitou Springs).

Don't be afraid to use the 14ers.com website page for route and trailhead information. More experienced members on SP might have other ideas and/or more up to date info on Colorado mountains since I am only there in August, September, and October and this year I might miss it altogether to hit Wyoming and Montana instead.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Trust me when I say that you are completely capable of doing the Long's Peak Keyhole route technical moves on a dry morning while it is snow and ice free.

True, but in early June the route will be have a lot of snow and ice and be under technical status for sure.

I'm thinking of Elbert, and starting my research for others.

Elbert is one of the more mundane high peaks in the Rockies, but it is a safe one.

I'll primarily be going in running shoes and a running vest, but will carry some light traction devices (Hillsound Trail Crampons or similar) as needed for light snow.

For 14ers, you should prepare for snow in early June. If that is the gear you are taking, stick to lower mountains.

jerky1280

by jerky1280 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:56 pm

For 14ers, you should prepare for snow in early June. If that is the gear you are taking, stick to lower mountains.

Thanks for the info. I should have realized the higher altitudes would still have snow in June. Similar discussion to the other post:
accessible-14ers-from-i-70-early-june-t81881.html

Would some of the southern mountains (San Juans) be more likely to be lighter on the snow?

I'll have to get more info come late May. Thanks for the responses.
Last edited by jerky1280 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Would some of the southern mountains (San Juans) be more likely to be lighter on the snow?

Not on the 14ers. Right now, the San Juans actually have more snow than any other place in Colorado.

There are plenty of other hikes to do though.

Return to Colorado