Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

Postby hoopkeel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:14 pm

I currently live in Indiana and I am planning a trip back to Gore Range in mid July with my two sons (14 and 15). I was considering starting at the Gore Creek trail head and hiking for five days. I am planning on hiking to Gore Lake, Snow Lake, Red Buffalo Pass, summit Red Peak, then hike out on Eccles Pass and Meadow Creek Trail to the Meadow Creek Trailhead. I have only been to the Gore Range once and didn't have time to go beyond Gore Lake. I am just wondering if this route is my best option for the time I have or if there is a better / more scenic route I should consider taking. I just want this trip to be special for my sons and want to get the most out of our time. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
hoopkeel

Re: 5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

Postby Niederbayer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 pm

3 days would be sufficient except you use the lakes as base camp to do more climbs - why not hike up first to Deluge Lake - cross the pass over to Snow Lake and from there hike on to Gore Lake , would add a bit of distance- was up at Snow Lake years ago but there wasn't a real trail down (or up -or I missed it.....) -so that will add to the fun
Niederbayer

The following user would like to thank Niederbayer for this post
hoopkeel

Re: 5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

Postby hoopkeel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Deludge Lake. I have not been there and wasn't sure if there was a pass over to Snow lake or not. I will study my topo and consider it.
hoopkeel

Return to Colorado