About geo-localization of SP pictures

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
visentin

by visentin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Alpinist wrote:Let me toss something else into this already confusing mix. If SP were to assign the coordinates to an image based on the coordinates of the mountain page, which coordinates would it assign if the image is attached to more than 1 peak or route page? For example, I'm standing on Peak X and took a photo of Peak Y, and then attach the photo to both pages in SP. That obviously won't work too well.

You're right about ranges, but when it's only a peak then it could be, no ? As for X and Y, I'd suggest last attached gets the priority. Many tend to use the option "Add picture" and "Add new picture" to a mountain instead of the hassle of starting with "new object", etc etc. I guess most of the time we tend to do this when we come from one trip. Then, after, if we want to attach Y, we do it separately with "attach" (which we do to all other mountains taken from ...).

Alpinist wrote:As others have mentioned, I have no way of knowing exactly where my photos were taken since my camera doesn't track GPS coordinates. To go back and study a map in an attempt to try and guess the position is madness. Madness I tell you. It would be huge effort for very little benefit.

The better option is to simply state in the photo comments approximately where the photo was taken. "Photo taken from the north side of Peak X just below the summit."

Agree 100%. It's a nonsense to look for informations on a route using only GPS coordinates. Better enter in image search (not to say Google) the name of the valley you come from and sort the results

om

by om » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:33 am

Alpinist wrote:The better option is to simply state in the photo comments approximately where the photo was taken. "Photo taken from the north side of Peak X just below the summit."

If you don't know that place that gives no information to you. Geolocalization is not only about manipulating coordinates , but when you clic on coordinates, the picture is localized on google map or satellite view or relief map.
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=3&distance_3=100&distance_lat_3=43.84443&distance_lon_3=6.28487&map_3=1&is_open=1

om

by om » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:47 am

MoapaPk wrote:
om wrote:I was only speaking about SP standard feature when adding a picture. Coordinates are set automaticly when giving the position on the small google map... No need to know about GPS or Coordinates themselves.

I haven't found the map app too useful, probably because in the past I have tried to be accurate to within +/- 20'. I can rarely ever get to a zoom level where I can pinpoint the position, whether I use the "hybrid" mode or the crude terrain model. I guess we are shooting for different things -- e.g. I was trying pinpoint the exact descent chute, when incorrect chutes are within 50'. Personally, I'd rather have people pull such information from the parent article.

Use the relief map. It's as accurate as you need.

Previous

Return to Site Feedback