About to buy Feathered Friends Rock&Ice what do you think?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
G-F

Re: About to buy Feathered Friends Rock&Ice what do you thin

by G-F » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

I couldn't get any info on the down weight from PHD. I couldn't find anything on the internet about it.

So maybe it is better, maybe not. But when I contacted PHD they said it was a design secret. Well FF is really forthright with the down weight and in the end, that really gave me confidence in their products. Especially because I couldn't find any other jacket with more down weight at the same quality as FF anywhere.

The numerous good reviews sealed the deal. Compared to my Himalayan, that is already top of the line in terms of warmth, the FF is much loftier. It makes the North face feel like a t-shirt. Ok, I'm over exagerating, but you can look at the pic I posted and you'll see just how puffy the Rock&Ice is.

If you need a size large, ask about the last year models. They gave me a good discount. Good luck.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Just a little follow up.

First really cold day here in NH Canada -25c (-13f) I put on just a t-shirt under my rock & ice. I can't say it's warm because you don't even realise that there is cold. It is like wearing your own micro-climate... It's like i was still inside. The only thing reminding me that the parka is actually insanely warm is that every body part not inside the parka felt cold. My feet are still a bit cold as I type this. lol

I say that at -25c and just a t-shirt, the R&I is incredibly warm. This is a seriously extreme parka, probably too warm for temperaure higher than -15C/0F.

no avatar
bdan

by bdan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi there!

It looks like you wrote this post almost 4 years ago now...I was just wondering if you had any thoughts on your FF Rock and Ice parka now, 3 winters later? Has it maintained it's loft? How are the inside of the elbows and other high-mobility areas doing? Thank you so much in advance!

Previous

Return to Gear