Aconcagua - traverse routes info/coordinates?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Quadaxial

Aconcagua - traverse routes info/coordinates?

by Quadaxial » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:24 am

Hi,

Does anyone have GPS coordinates or other information on the apparently multiple traverse routes connecting Camp 2 on the Polish Glacier side with the Normal Route?

My friend and I will be down there in a week and we intend on taking the Polish Direct up, then back down to Camp 2 and then traversing to the Normal Route (with all our gear in tow, yuck) the following day and then out.

R.J. Secor's book appears to show at least three traverses, with the False Polish being the highest, but then also a route that splinters off the False Polish and connects with Berlin Camp, and then another lower traverse that goes just above Nido de Condores.

We want to know how straightforward it is to take these traverse routes, and especially if the lower traverse or Berlin traverse would be worth taking, since that is when we'll have our heaviest loads to carry. Looking at the far away photos of the mountain, these traverses seem completely NOT obvious to me.

Any information or coordinates you may have on any of the three traverses would be a huge help! Thanks in advance!

Jason

no avatar
Darek

Re: Aconcagua - traverse routes info/coordinates?

by Darek » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:23 am

Quadaxial wrote:We want to know how straightforward it is to take these traverse routes, and especially if the lower traverse or Berlin traverse would be worth taking, since that is when we'll have our heaviest loads to carry. Looking at the far away photos of the mountain, these traverses seem completely NOT obvious to me.

Last year I have seen only two traverses:
- one from Polish Glacier up to Piadras Blancas and then by normal route down to either Berlin or Colera
- one from Colera camp down to the col between Ameghino and Aconcagua.
I was especially interested in some "no-ascent" traverse from Berlin to Plaza Argentina and didn't notice any other path described in guide-books (maybe because of snow). On the other hand I haven't seen any description of the second path. I suppose walking without path on rocks or loose scree with heavy load would not be pleasant.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:18 am

I have a photo taken last season from Camp 2 showing the Polish Traverse and you can see the lower traverse route a bit. If you want a copy send me an email at admin@adventureclimbing.ca.

Cheers and have a safe climb.

Quadaxial

by Quadaxial » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:48 am

Brad- I'd love to see your photo. Email Jason.m.Brooks@gmail.com

thank you!
Jason

Return to South America