Advice on hiking near Munich next week

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
MikeR

Advice on hiking near Munich next week

by MikeR » Sun May 06, 2012 12:38 am

Hi all,
Myself and my girlfriend will be staying in Munich next week and will have a day and a half free so are hoping to do some hiking in the Alps while we're there.
A few questions, firstly, what is the snow level around there at the moment (we wont have any snow gear)?
Secondly, can anyone recommend any hiking within a day from Munich using public transport (bearing in mind the snow conditions)?
Finally, can anyone recommend a hut to stay in and will we need to book places?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

mvs

Re: Advice on hiking near Munich next week

by mvs » Sun May 06, 2012 6:08 pm

You might take the train to Garmisch and do two day hikes, one up Kramerspitze (some snow, but manageable), and another through the Hoellentalklamm to the hut for lunch then return. It snowed a lot about a week ago so levels seem to be a bit higher than usual for this time. I don't know of a good overnight hut right now, perhaps someone else does...

mvs

by mvs » Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Yes, that Mittenwald Karwendelbahn goes to a kind of snowy col with a great klettersteig (via ferrata) that is really fantastic fun on a ridge crest. But it's "only for experts" at the moment because the cable is often buried under snow. There are some hiking trails too but I think they traverse steep slopes and are almost certainly buried. The view is amazing though.

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 pm

I've climbed (reply above) Kramerspitze at Garmisch. A quite long, though very enjoyable day, with great views across the valley to Alpspitze and Zugspitze. Quite dramatic. There is a nice mountain restaurant, about a 1/3 way up.

You could go further into Austria, and visit the lovely town of Pertisau. Good day peaks of Seeburgspitze, and Barenkopf. Both likely to be snow around up top.
Consuming Tiger Parts Causes Impotence

no avatar
MikeR

by MikeR » Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. That's given me a few ideas.

Cheers,

Mike

no avatar
nickw1

by nickw1 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 am

Another yes for Kramerspitze. Did it in July 2009 in a too-short three day visit to Garmisch (during which I planned to do Zugspitze but was snowed off...), similar vertical gain to Ben Nevis (700m in the valley to 2000m-ish summit) and some beautiful views over to Zugspitze, down into the valley, and across the Alpine foothills to the north. Hut serving refreshments west of the summit. Fairly clear trail all the way.

Also did Hoellental south of Garmisch, can recommend that too.

When I was there, trains ran hourly from Munich, travel time approx 1hr30min.

Nick

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Kramerspitze is a very good idea: +1

Return to Europe