Alpine routes in Norway

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
BigLee

Alpine routes in Norway

by BigLee » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:11 pm

I was thinking of heading to the Hurrungane region late february for some winter Alpine routes before I leave Norway in March. Anybody know of any decent ice/mixed couloirs/faces in the area around Alpine D-TD (if such a thing exists)? Most stuff I'm reading about seems to be easy glaciers and rocky ridges which isn't really of interest to me - but then I don't imagine many people are climbing in winter in this region either. Else I'll head up to Lofoten as a Plan B. Cheers, Lee

Doberman

by Doberman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:19 pm

A winter ascent of the classic "Storen" should be challenging enough:

http://www.fjellforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=7450

Close by you have Centraltind ( http://www.etojm.com/Galleri/Galleri31_ ... ryggen.htm )which is a fine moderate alpineclimb, but on a different route than the one to Storen. All of the climbs starts from Turtagrø: http://www.turtagro.no/english/

BigLee

by BigLee » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:34 am

...Plus I've climbed in Pakistan a lot with 12-1am starts so know about climbing in the dark (and the benefits of having a good torch for route finding!) :wink:

Wow! Some of those photos look good. I need to get up there in the next few weeks.

I wanted to check out Lofoten as it sounds almost like Scottish mixed climbing which is my thing but I've only 4 days so can't be bothered going that far north. Plus I'm a little worried about climbing right on the West coast with this warm winter.

BigLee

by BigLee » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:42 pm

True. I forgot how cheap flights are compared to trains and buses. Might wait til last minute, see what the weather's doing and go from there.

darinchadwick

by darinchadwick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:38 am

It has been stinking cold all February here in North Norway. If you are thinking about going 'all the way' to Lofoten, you might want to consider Lyngen. Lots of steep couliors, and no, it won't be too warm. In fact, I'm quite sure that parts of Lofoten will be cold enough next month as well. We were there in March, and there were frozen waterfalls in great shape all over. Stick to the islands closest to the mainland and it should be cold enough. OR check out some of the peaks in Nordland around the Narvik and Bodø area. OR there are some good steep peaks in the Svartisen area that are still in form that time of year. OR.....

Goldie_Oz

by Goldie_Oz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:55 pm

darinchadwick wrote:It has been stinking cold all February here in North Norway. If you are thinking about going 'all the way' to Lofoten, you might want to consider Lyngen. Lots of steep couliors, and no, it won't be too warm. In fact, I'm quite sure that parts of Lofoten will be cold enough next month as well. We were there in March, and there were frozen waterfalls in great shape all over. Stick to the islands closest to the mainland and it should be cold enough. OR check out some of the peaks in Nordland around the Narvik and Bodø area. OR there are some good steep peaks in the Svartisen area that are still in form that time of year. OR.....

Darin stop, you're making me drool again. Possibly going back to Svalbard this summer for a couple of weeks... could be convinced to tarry a few days in Lyngen on the way... or maybe some sweet routes in Kvaløya....

zenalpinist

by zenalpinist » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Did you take that photo from the Fannaråkhytta cabin? That view looks familiar. Was trekking in that area a few years back at stayed at that cabin for a night. We were in a cloud for a day, but then it opened up and we had that wonderful view.

Wonderful territory!

-B-

Doberman wrote:A winter ascent of the classic "Storen" should be challenging enough:

http://www.fjellforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=7450

Close by you have Centraltind ( http://www.etojm.com/Galleri/Galleri31_ ... ryggen.htm )which is a fine moderate alpineclimb, but on a different route than the one to Storen. All of the climbs starts from Turtagrø: http://www.turtagro.no/english/

darinchadwick

by darinchadwick » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:51 am

Goldie_Oz wrote:
darinchadwick wrote:It has been stinking cold all February here in North Norway. If you are thinking about going 'all the way' to Lofoten, you might want to consider Lyngen. Lots of steep couliors, and no, it won't be too warm. In fact, I'm quite sure that parts of Lofoten will be cold enough next month as well. We were there in March, and there were frozen waterfalls in great shape all over. Stick to the islands closest to the mainland and it should be cold enough. OR check out some of the peaks in Nordland around the Narvik and Bodø area. OR there are some good steep peaks in the Svartisen area that are still in form that time of year. OR.....

Darin stop, you're making me drool again. Possibly going back to Svalbard this summer for a couple of weeks... could be convinced to tarry a few days in Lyngen on the way... or maybe some sweet routes in Kvaløya....

Well, baby #2 is coming in July this summer, so if you're coming to Norway I'll be sure to be here, and though I'll be a busy daddy, I bet I could take a day off or two, or at least loan you some rock climbing gear so you can do some 'real' climbing. We have planned a trip to Nordland for later in the summer, keep in touch.
Darin.

Return to Europe