Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Angel's Landing with snow/ice?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

Re: Angel's Landing with snow/ice?

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 pm

1000Pks wrote:While never having owned one, my experience with GPS

Non sequitur of the day!

is that they are wildly inaccurate, and I would never go definitively by one.

Oh please. Five trips on that trail match quite well. Comparison of measured map mileage and GPS mileage, on roads, is typically very good, even though the per-mile sampling rate is greatly reduced. I'm not talking about the GPS chipset in a cellphone.

The DPS guide is pretty good by me, and you can look at the maps.

Look at the DPS guide page for NGA. Nobody follows those straight lines. There are now pretty good trails in several of the places. Nobody goes across the basin to NGA as they show; the herd path snakes around the manzanita and scrub oak. Few sane people walk off the overlook as they show, but rather take the switch-backed use trail to the east.

The DPS does send out updates of the guide for members; but many of the descriptions of routes in the printed guide are inaccurate, because they were written long ago. The approach roads may have fallen into disrepair (e.g. Tipton, Clark), No Trespassing zones have sprung up (Granite Mojave), or forest fires and land slides have obliterated trails (Porter east).
MoapaPk

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:55 am

Didn't have access to internet for a few days. The trip was fun and we just stuck to some short hikes across Bryce and Zion. It was sunny but chilly; it went down to 9F on Thanksgiving night. The parks are beautiful with snow!
Luciano136

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:36 pm

My thanks and apologies to 1000pks (seriously). Day Hiker pointed out that he got about 2.9 to 3.1 miles to the NGA shoulder, not 3.7 as I thought, closer to the 2.75 suggested by Pete.

I went back to the raw GPS logs and got 2.94 to 3.10, depending on how you measure (x-y distance vs putting in the z-component-- that was the cause of Day Hiker's range, too). 5 logs agreed on the common portions; the GPS was dead-on consistent.

The cause of the discrepancy? In my rush to provide numbers, I likely made a goof in the mapping program. I had clipped out two small spikes where I wandered off the route briefly, then glued the track back together. Somehow I managed to replicate the middle 0.8 miles; this didn't show up on the map, because the points were exactly coincident on the extra section. Sometimes my right hand goes into spasms, especially when I am rushing, and I accidentally use copy commands that were not intended.

Sadly, this extra 0.8 miles probably kept Lucianco off the shoulder of NGA.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:10 pm

1000Pks wrote:
Sadly, this extra 0.8 miles probably kept Lucianco off the shoulder of NGA.

He can see how it looks thanks to our websites, yours in digital so much better, btw.

As far as that goes, what is this?

http://hwstock.org/jumbo/html/IMG_0909.htm

Looks to me like a summit log.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Now that I look at it closely, it seems real. For years I thought "Mars Bonfire" was a prank.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:42 pm

1000Pks wrote:So you wouldn't know who writes in "Darija Yamagata," or whether this is any sort of real person that my attorneys can contact, being that there is maybe some kind of imposter or what I am trying to figure out?

As you have suggested, many of the names in registers are suspect. In fact, you once made a claim that Sierra Club members pay people to get the logs for them, so they can sign in without the effort of climbing the peak. I have more faith in human nature, and will assume DY was signed by a real person. The first name is not the same as yours anyway, so I doubt anyone would mistake this sign-in as yours.
MoapaPk

Previous

Return to Utah