Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Angeles Crest - The Aftermath of the Station Fire

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby Tom Kenney » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:24 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Ze wrote:hikers can also be incompetent, but I don't see as many things from them that make me think, 'what the hell are you doing' when I'm on a trail.

You didn't see this then!!!

Photo from Vitaliy M

Those are 'sand shoes' - they are often used in conjunction with a 'sand axe.' :P
Tom Kenney

Postby Tom Kenney » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:
Ze wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:
"Hey, that asshole on the bicycle is in the middle of the road!"
"Hey, that asshole in his car is crossing the double yellows!"

:wink:

1st - legal
2nd - illegal

Both = unsafe regardless of a court ruling.

In sailing, there's something called the 'Law of Gross Tonnage' - just because your 16-ft Hobie Cat has the right-of-way, you probably shouldn't try to argue the point with a cargo ship.
Tom Kenney

Postby Ze » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:15 pm

on nice mountain roads where people can't see you until the last second, I agree. but roads with parked cars or little / crappy shoulder, it's better to be in the middle.
Ze

Re: Angeles Crest - The Aftermath of the Station Fire

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:32 pm

An interesting thing in the Times, shows how theyr'e fixing the road....
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... .htmlstory

No info on when it will be open though :?
Rob

Re:

Postby goldenhopper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Luciano136 wrote:But people passing the road closed sign to hike and ride their bicycle is ok? While I don't think their decision was very smart, no one should be pointing fingers just because they hate on bikers. Most people on this site would probably do the same to hike and bike... Same thing...

This is a very good point and I'm sure has enhanced the distain of their actions for some here. Still, I agree with Gary on this. These guys buzz around at high speeds up there and they have no idea where or when there are going to be workers in the road, possibly around a blind corner. If you're bold enough to go past the barricade and use it like a bridge, you're likely to make another unsafe judgment once inside.

No doubt they would be able to sue in California. I once read about a guy who sued the city of LA after falling though a section of roof that was under construction during a robbery attempt.
goldenhopper

Re: Re:

Postby fatdad » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:49 pm

NancyHands wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:But people passing the road closed sign to hike and ride their bicycle is ok? While I don't think their decision was very smart, no one should be pointing fingers just because they hate on bikers. Most people on this site would probably do the same to hike and bike... Same thing...

This is a very good point and I'm sure has enhanced the distain of their actions for some here. Still, I agree with Gary on this. These guys buzz around at high speeds up there and they have no idea where or when there are going to be workers in the road, possibly around a blind corner. If you're bold enough to go past the barricade and use it like a bridge, you're likely to make another unsafe judgment once inside.

No doubt they would be able to sue in California. I once read about a guy who sued the city of LA after falling though a section of roof that was under construction during a robbery attempt.

I disagree. One, I can tell you don't ride. While riders enjoy descents, no one, absolutely no one has an interest in crashing at 40 mph wearing nothing but lycra. If you rode, you'd know that.

Two, if I had a nickel every time I heard an apocryphal story about lawyers and bogus lawsuits...Of course they would be able to sue. You could sue someone because you didn't like the color of shirt he's wearing. Would the case get dismissed almost immediately? Yes. Would you get anything? No. End of story.
fatdad

Re: Re:

Postby goldenhopper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:29 am

TacoDelRio wrote:
NancyHands wrote:These guys buzz around at high speeds up there and they have no idea where or when there are going to be workers in the road, possibly around a blind corner. If you're bold enough to go past the barricade and use it like a bridge, you're likely to make another unsafe judgment once inside.

With all due respect, your view on motorcyclists is erroneous. Do you ride motorcycles on ACH and similar roads?

Not erroneous at all. I never said every guy on a road bike is unsafe or drives too fast, but please don't try and tell me that more than 30% of the dudes on Hwy 2 are out for a leisurely Sunday ride. I always pull out for them to allow for their fun, and have no issue with it under normal circumstances. A bike can travel much faster than a car on those roads and remain within safe limits, but a closed road does not accommodate for this and is a risky endeavor for rider and city worker alike. To answer your question, I do not ride, but I have two dead friends, one that can not ride anymore after hitting a deer at high speed in Yosemite a few years ago, one that has a high tech prosthetic leg just below the knee (who still rides and has the plate of roboleg) and had another close friend die as a passenger. I have never known anyone who died in a car wreck. You mean like this?

or this:
goldenhopper

Re: Angeles Crest - The Aftermath of the Station Fire

Postby goldenhopper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:29 am

TacoDelRio wrote:What's leisurely for one person is fast for others, I guess.

A bike can travel much faster than a car on those roads and remain within safe limits

What do you mean?

I'm sorry to hear about your friends.

Cheers

Thanks for the well wishes Taco. I'm sure if you ride up there you have met a few of my current and past buddies.

I'm saying exactly what you said above. While some people think motorcycles are traveling too fast on ACH, a good rider is well within his/her "safe" limits even at speeds almost no car could sustain on those roads. At the same time everything changes when road is under construction. There is going to be gravel and dirt on the road, trucks, caltrans employees and other obstructions without any discretion to possible public traffic as THE ROAD IS CLOSED.

Whether or not one mans too fast is less or more than another’s has nothing to do with it. Even a fairly timid rider can easily travel faster than a car and crossing a road block and making a bridge over a trench does not exude timid behavior. The same would go for someone who could manage to get their car across the road...

I've driven those roads as much as anyone over the last 20+ years - at times on a daily basis. I know how many aggressive riders there are up there and as I said before, more power too them, but they still make bad judgments and I would argue that they do so more often than you would like to admit. You see I have no stake in the overall opinion of bikes on ACH as it makes no difference to me, but I'm guessing you have a stake in it? If so, this can cloud judgment and make room for less than objective thought on the subject. But of course I’m making an assumption since you have not said whether you ride up there or not. Though I seem to remember you posting pictures of you on a bike somewhere before - maybe facebook as we share a mutual friend there.

I'm just picking these randomly.

goldenhopper

PreviousNext

Return to California