Ansel Adams photo - identify the peaks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
peninsula

by peninsula » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:06 pm

dskoon wrote:That's pretty good work, there, Dayhiker. Excellent.

Wow!... very nice, indeed. I'm sure Ansel would have been impressed, too.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
The image generated by my program is below the photo. The colors are by elevation only.

Using multiple images generated by my program, I managed to determine the viewpoint from which Ansel Adams' photo was taken. It is close to the road (US395), and it's just north of the city park that is on the north end of town.

If you don't mind me asking but what program are you referring to?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 pm

peninsula wrote:
dskoon wrote:That's pretty good work, there, Dayhiker. Excellent.

Wow!... very nice, indeed. I'm sure Ansel would have been impressed, too.

Thanks to both for the compliments. To make it complete, I should have George Lucas' friends add a CGI horse and some trees!

SoCalHiker wrote:If you don't mind me asking but what program are you referring to?

I don't mind at all. It is code that I wrote and have been modifying and adding to since 2002. I've posted about it before, so I didn't want to bore people with the details every time.

395guy

by 395guy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Day Hiker: wow Wow WOW
Awesome work. Many thanks. Very helpful.

ksolem

by ksolem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 am

Nice.

A couple of details.

The pinnacle at the very left edge of the frame, left of Corcoran, is Sharks Tooth. I keep mentioning this formation because it is a rarely climbed and unique summit, and it is plainly visible from Lone Pine.

There is a pinnacle about 2/3 up the North East Ridge of Lone Pine Peak which appears to be on the ridge. It is not, rather it stands separately to the north of the ridge. I have heard it called The Overseer. When Larry Cote and I climbed the NE Ridge we really wanted to bag that pinnacle, but we had our hands full without taking what looked to be a serious detour. I would not be surprised if that has never been climbed. Anyone know??

I think you have Irvine right but the summit is hidden?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 am

ksolem wrote:The pinnacle at the very left edge of the frame, left of Corcoran, is Sharks Tooth. I keep mentioning this formation because it is a rarely climbed and unique summit, and it is plainly visible from Lone Pine.

Thanks. I will add that one to my database of features. If anyone feels like identfying some of those needles south of Crooks, I would like to learn them too. I am interested in hitting some of those on a Whitney hike sometime.

ksolem wrote:I think you have Irvine right but the summit is hidden?

Yes. I used an arrow instead of the normal pointer to differentiate that callout from the others.
The actual summit of Mount Irvine is blocked by the north ridge of Lone Pine Peak, but the NNE ridge of Irvine is visible.

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:15 pm

nice work, dayhiker. The unnamed point you have north of LPP is traditionally known as "Candlelight Peak". Fun little summit with OUTSTANDING views.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:26 am

MoabPeakBagger wrote:nice work, dayhiker. The unnamed point you have north of LPP is traditionally known as "Candlelight Peak". Fun little summit with OUTSTANDING views.

Thanks. To confirm, is that the point labeled "3681" in the mytopo link below? If so, I will add it to my list.
http://www.mytopo.com/maps.cfm?mtlat=36.57134&mtlon=118.24458

Previous

Return to California