any suggestions of where to stay in Toluca? and the hike?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
Stuart B

by Stuart B » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm

I usually stay at the Hotel Colonial in Toluca, its quite nice. I seem to remember it costing about $40 for a big double room, I don´t know if they have cheaper singles.

If you arrive from Mexico City by bus, Toluca´s bus station is not a nice welcome (I don´t think its particularly dangerous - just a bit of a dump). Get a taxi to the hotel, and negotiate with the driver about taking you to the Nevado.

At the Nevado I´d eat at the taco stands down at the park entrance - great food!

If you´re there at the weekend the mountain will be busy, loads of people around and pretty safe. Midweek I dunno.

An alternative to staying in Toluca is Valle de Bravo, a lakeside resort town. Its about the same distance from the mountain, but further from Mexico City. Lots of nice hotels in most price brackets. V Busy at weekends, empty during the week. Nice little climbing shop there too.

I usually go DF - Toluca - Nevado - Valle - DF for a nice weekend trip. A taxi taking you to the Nevado from toluca, waitng a few hours at the mountain and then taking you on to Valle will cost maybe 1200 pesos (just Toluca to the mountain and back anywhere between 600 and 800 pesos - maybe you can get cheaper though?)

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean