Anyone been to the Pindari Glacier and Kumoan Region India?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu May 03, 2007 2:14 pm

I've never been there but have looked into going there. The Pindari is SE of the Nanda Devi Sanctuary - the peaks at the NW end of the valley form the SE wall of the Sanctuary.

Around the Pindari Gl there are some nice peaks like Panwali Dwar (6663m) and and Nanda Kot (6861m) and some high passes that are rarely crossed. I think Changuch (6322m) is still unclimbed. Maybe that's why NOLS is going there.

D

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri May 04, 2007 3:59 am

Not much on the web. Try the book 'Exploring the Hidden Himalaya' by Mehta & Kapadia and the Leomann map 'Kumaon-Garwhal' 1:200,000 Sheet 8. Stanfords in London www.stanfords.co.uk probably have these in stock, or Google or Amazon.

http://www.summiters.net/gallery2/main. ... &g2_page=3

Generally it seems like a good thing to do, but I notice that out of 40 days total they only plan to spend approx. 14 days at or above BC. What about the rest of it ? They also don't plan to go above 18K, which is not very high in the Himalaya.

D

Return to Asia