Anyone up for Little Lakes Peak -> Morgan?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tbaranski

Anyone up for Little Lakes Peak -> Morgan?

by tbaranski » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Planning to do LLP -> Morgan on either Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Usually I roll solo but as class 3-4 ridges in particular are new territory for me I figured I'd see if anyone was interested.

I figure I'll pretty much follow Bob's route here: http://www.snwburd.com/bob/maps/little_lakes_1.html

Weather looks perfect all week. :-) Let me know if interested.

Deb

Re: Anyone up for Little Lakes Peak -> Morgan?

by Deb » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 pm

How do you plan on coming down? Long slog off Morgan's NE ridge. I plowed straight down the black rock bands to Hidden Lakes....kinda sketchy if you're not a rock climber. Great traverse though, staying ridge proper gets you Class 4 and 5, but beware...those huge boulders DO move. I had 3 washing machine-sized boulders converge onto my leg and momentarily pen me.
edit: Guess I should have looked at map first..... I ascended LLP from between Upper and Lower Morgan Lakes and rode the entire ridge of LLP to Morgan, including a Class 5 crack climb onto the summit block. "Fun" day!

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:56 am

Thanks for the moving boulder tip. Will keep that in mind.

Sounds like you descended further south than Bob? I figure I'll follow the ridge until I either find his chute or see some other reasonable way down.

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:21 am

Did this solo today, which was probably for the best given the lackluster pace that my East Coast behind was moving at these altitudes. Embarrassing really.

Anyway, there's a summit register on LLP from last August. Only one (undated) signature since -- from PellucidWombat. Is LLP really visited so rarely?

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:25 am

I think so. When I first did it, there were entries going back a good decade or so. Glad you enjoyed it.

Return to California