AT/Rando gear - optimal set up?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
RickF

by RickF » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:19 am

DMT,

Thanks, I didn't know that.

RModelli

by RModelli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:21 am

Dynafit Manaslu, rockered tips and very lightweight
Dynafit FT 12, bomber will even take resort abuse...
and for boot you need to find what you want to go for
I have the above set up and use Scarpa Spirit 3 boots.

MAke sure you get brakes for the skis and crampons if climbing chutes and other steeps.
otherwise skins will do.

hope this helps

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Figure out what skis you want yourself- rec's for the others by others might be more beneficial.

Other stuff (I've got an AT set-up):

I'm quite stoked about my Silvretta 500 bindings- the cool thing about them is they work for any boots that have heel/toe (i.e. crampon compatible) boots. Even with my La Sportiva Nepals, they work extremely well for getting around in the backcountry (i.e. regular mountaineering boots adequate)- with the Nepals, I could maybe get down a blue with persistance (& a few falls). On the other hand, with my ski-specific boots that I also have, I get down blacks at the resorts just fine (limitations are primarily with my skills, not the set-up). Wearing my Scarpa Invernos (i.e. plastic climbing boots) is intermediate- could perhaps get down a black, touring around is easy, & I could do a moderate mountaineering route after the approach no problemo. Thing is, I'm not sure they make the S500s anymore (have no idea why- like you might see from my post, I think they're phenomenal bindings), so they're hard to come by.

I use the same poles to ski as I do to backpack/hike.

I've got BD skins. Can't remember the name, but they're the ones with the orange bottoms. They work great; the thing that annoys me the most is that I lost both of the 'camming' mechanisms that 'secure' the skins to the backs of the skis. Fortunately the glue (& my weight) seems to keep them on the bottoms of my skis just fine (so far- I've only had them a year).

Good luck- getting out into the hills in the winter & being able to travel around (not to mention going down a snow-covered hill at a high rate of speed) is great!

Snowball

by Snowball » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 pm

http://www.offpistemag.com/

http://www.wildsnow.com/2009/tips-backcountry-skiing/

http://dynafit.com/uk/4/800/home.html

i would say there is no optimal setup... just different ones based on needs, usage, skill level.

i have (like diggler) the silvretta 500 randonee bindings, Atomic Dirans skis, black diamond orange climbing skins, Garmont Endorphins. the silv500s work great in the backcountry and the resort. i use my skis 70% backcountry skiing, 25% resort skiing, and 5% with climbing boots. the Dirans are part of that legacy of the classic TM22. i would say they are good all-around beginner/intermediate ski mountaineering skis. if you are an expert skier, then go for somethign beefier like the dynafit manaslu or something.

my girlfriend has an awesome dedicated randonee bindings/boots. she is an expert skier and uses the Dynafit Se7en Summits skis, randonnee Shiva boots, and the dynafit bindings TLT Vertical ST PRO w/ 92 mm Stopper. super-light setup!!! (y, i am jeolous)

my only recommendation: get randonee boots that have the dynafit-compatible divits at the toe. this will give you the option to use your randonee ski boots with dynafit binding if in the future you decided to go super-light. my current boots do not have that compitable binding sockets and i wish they did now.... i bought them in 2005 and love em but its a good lesson learned. in the future i would like to get an all dynafit binding setup which means having to get new boots unfortunately... good luck man

tiogap

by tiogap » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 am

RickF wrote:Munge,

In your quest for boots, new or used, Garmonts are reputed to fit narrower feet while Scarpas are supposed to fit wider feet, I'm not sure about Black Diamonds. I have long narrow feet, my Garmonts, size 30.5 (U.S. 13) fit me well.

I second that. I tried on a pair of Garmonts last week. Too narrow for my E foot

Previous

Return to California