Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Award Winning Photos

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

Award Winning Photos

Postby Marmaduke » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:10 am

Some here might not be inclined to "toot their own horn" but with many magazines that have photo contests. There are so many excellent photos by SPers, are there any of you who have won any photo contests?
User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Sonoma, California, United States
Thanked: 586 times in 451 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Apex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 am

I haven't entered any photo contests yet, but would love to find some. I agree with the above poster that judging is quite biased, but there's really no way around this. I'm talking about how certain judges will prefer a different style of photography to another, different techniques, areas, etc... Not so much the personal info, though I don't have any experience with that yet.
User Avatar
Apex

 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: Great White North
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 am

Hey Pete...

Looks like I am number 4 on your people you need to climb with list. So what peak is it going to be?

http://www.summitpost.org/suggested-par ... 0pks/18870
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1216 times in 825 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Hotoven » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm

There's also a thread for complaining, its called the whole off route section. Feel free to share your feelings and assumptions there.

I have entered a few photo contest but have never won. I guess because I don't take great photos.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski
User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Summit County, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 116 times in 88 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Marmaduke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Hotoven wrote:There's also a thread for complaining, its called the whole off route section. Feel free to share your feelings and assumptions there.

I have entered a few photo contest but have never won. I guess because I don't take great photos.


Did you see the photos that won and were they pretty good or.....?
User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Sonoma, California, United States
Thanked: 586 times in 451 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Hotoven » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Hotoven wrote:There's also a thread for complaining, its called the whole off route section. Feel free to share your feelings and assumptions there.

I have entered a few photo contest but have never won. I guess because I don't take great photos.


Did you see the photos that won and were they pretty good or.....?


I did see the photos that won and they were noting special. It was a local competition so of course the person who had the photo of the Matterhorn during a sunset won. I have seen way better here on SP.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski
User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Summit County, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 116 times in 88 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Yea 1000excuses, I lost a contest once...I think it was because I am black


Vodka and Kahlúa?
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7654
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 758 times in 491 posts

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
butitsadryheat, JasonH, robot one

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Smoove910 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm

A lot of photo contests require the submitter to relinquish all rights associated with the image.

Example: Backpacker magazine has a photo contest, but the submitter is required to allow the use of the image at Backpacker's discretion with no monetary gain. Your name will be mentioned, but the image may be sold to other 'vendors' without the say of the one who took it.

This is a huge reason why I don't ever submit.
User Avatar
Smoove910

 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:38 am
Location: Nampa, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 4 times in 2 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Alpinist » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Not a national contest by any strectch but I won the first annual photo contest held by the Chicago Mountaineering Club this year with this photo. Entries were anonymous and voted by the 100+ people that attended the annual dinner in March...
User Avatar
Alpinist

 
Posts: 6008
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Kildeer, Illinois, United States
Thanked: 671 times in 449 posts

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Marmaduke

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby MarkDidier » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Alpinist wrote:Not a national contest by any strectch but I won the first annual photo contest held by the Chicago Mountaineering Club this year with this photo. Entries were anonymous and voted by the 100+ people that attended the annual dinner in March...


Congrats...it is definitely a sweet pic, and not surprisinly your # 1 SP photo. I made the 204th vote here on SP...I don't think I have ever seen a pic with that many votes! Nice job.
User Avatar
MarkDidier

 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:24 am
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Thanked: 48 times in 36 posts

Re: Award Winning Photos

Postby Marmaduke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 pm

MarkDidier wrote:
Alpinist wrote:Not a national contest by any strectch but I won the first annual photo contest held by the Chicago Mountaineering Club this year with this photo. Entries were anonymous and voted by the 100+ people that attended the annual dinner in March...


Congrats...it is definitely a sweet pic, and not surprisinly your # 1 SP photo. I made the 204th vote here on SP...I don't think I have ever seen a pic with that many votes! Nice job.


Ditto that!!! Beautiful!
User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Sonoma, California, United States
Thanked: 586 times in 451 posts

Next

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.