Backpacking/trekking in central Chile

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
pc20

Backpacking/trekking in central Chile

by pc20 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:07 am

Hi all,
I am traveling to Chile around December and I am looking for backpacking routes in Central Chile. I will be flying into Santiago, and making my way over to Valparaiso for the rest of the month. I am not limited at all to this area, but not really looking on going anywhere more than ten hours away by bus. I am looking for a self guided trip, and wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions, as the internet hasn't really provided me with much. Let me know if you have heard of anything/done anything in this area! I am looking for something in the 1 week range for time, but am open to anything. Thanks!

dandrew

Re: Backpacking/trekking in central Chile

by dandrew » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 pm

You could climb Cerro La Campana. It's a prominent peak visible from Valpo and notable because Charles Darwin climbed it. I hiked it as a day trip when I lived in the town of Limache many years ago. Fun hike with nice views of the Andes and of the ocean on a clear day. You could take the train from Valpo to Limache. From there, you'd need to hop on a microbus or take a collectivo to the town of Olmue. La Campana is in a national park, so there may be a nominal fee.

The following user would like to thank dandrew for this post
pc20

Australopitecus

Re: Backpacking/trekking in central Chile

by Australopitecus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:54 am

Hi,
You have some nice trekking in;
Achibueno Area http://www.wikiexplora.com/index.php/R%C3%ADo_Achibueno this is near Linares city, and the info is only in Spanish I think but at least you have a place to look for info.
Reserva Nacional Río Los Cipreses http://www.wikiexplora.com/index.php/Trekking_Rancagua this is closer to Santiago area, http://www.conaf.cl/parques/reserva-nac ... -cipreses/
Also I recomend you to spend few days in Baños Morales (2hr from Santiago) area where you can do day trips to; Reserva Natural El Morado, El Morado hanging Glacier, Cajon Lo Valdes and Colina hotsprings, in Baños Morales there are a few hostels and restaurants, and buses every day...
Also a very nice place to visit its Pucón area, where you can do the Villarrica traverse a 5 days trip walking close to 3 volcanoes and amazing views, also this area offers hotsprings and if you want you can climb the active Villarrica Volcano with one of the many companies that offer the trip, if you want to go alone you have to bring iceaxe, crampons, helmet and a Alpine club acreditation in order to do it without a guide...to get to Pucón you have to travel a overnight trip by bus or flight to Temuco airport, its a very touristic place so from December start to become very crowded.
I will look for some contacts in those areas....bye

José.

The following user would like to thank Australopitecus for this post
pc20

Return to South America